Help Please, New at pool math. Bleach Borax and stabilizer seems like a lot!

Nov 20, 2014
Pine/Colorado
I am so new at pool math and freaking out after I put my info in the calculator. Before I just "Plunge" :shark: right in and put all this in my new pool would someone spot me.
Ok here goes...
I am using the hth 6 way test strips, (that is all I have right now)
TH= 100
FC=0/0
PH= 6.4
TA=80
CYA=0

So the numbers I come up with are:
TH is ok
FC 0/0 needs to be at 2.4
PH 6.4 needs to be at 7.2-7.5
TA is ok
CYA 0 needs to be at 30-50

So I need to put in the pool:??? This freaks me out, Really!!!??? :confused:
FC- 6 Gal 1qt of bleach or 8.2 96oz jugs of bleach
PH- 4 lbs 15oz of borax or 1 76oz box
CYA- 1 qt 7oz of liquid stabilizer

This is so overwhelming to me, can someone please help me? :(
Thanks TFP

First off, welcome to TFP! We hope you find a new hangout here.

I'd hold off on adding anything for now. Test strips are horrid on a good day. Let's try to simplify things even more for you here....

Is your pool a 3800gallon pool? If so we can greatly reduce the cost and workload you'll have to do. :D

I have not added anything to the water. It was delivered. We did not want to use our well water for the pool. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi pwrstrk!
Thank you for the welcome :)
I just found that information on the TFP site. I am glad you confirmed that for me.
Thanks!

Lee's offline at the moment, but I would recommend the TF100. I use it. The TF- 50 is also an option. Just a smaller version. ?
Just remember the TF-50 does not have the pH test. The TF-100 is the best value if you do not have any tests.

Also you will have to test just as much as the rest of us .... regardless of pool size.

I see listed in your signature that you have the "hth 3 way test kit" already. At this point the call is yours which way you wish to treat this pool. At 3800 gallons, the pool is normally extremely cheap to preform a drain/refill if you run into any issues down the line. One way to run this pool currently would be to use the steps listed in this article. This basically works on the mindset that if you have any issues with the water in the future, a drain/refill is rather cheap and simple to do. If this is the route you choose, I'd continue to work with your 3 way test kit, and simply worry about the pH and chlorine levels at this point. You'll simply add enough CYA to get yourself to 30ish ppm and then add enough bleach to maintain a chlorine level of 3ish. This basically means you will test after each swim, and add about 2 cups bleach whenever the FC level drops below 3. If you run into any issues, you'll simply drain the pool and start all over.

However with the inconvenience of needing to avoid well water plus this being a indoors you may wish to treat this as more of a permanent fixture. If you chose to go this route you will need to treat the pool just as any other you see mentioned at TFP, and avoid getting algae by performing daily testing. For this route I'd suggest either the TF-100 or the TF-50.

I've often debated about putting up a pool like that in our basement (unfinished) over the winter for the kids to play in. We used to put up some much smaller "blow up" pools down there for them to splash around in, however as they grow up those become less and less fun. I've gotta say, my girls would be EXTREMELY jealous of your setup! Now our largest obstacles are the mounds of clutter that's found it's way into the middle of the floor down there. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just remember the TF-50 does not have the pH test. The TF-100 is the best value if you do not have any tests.

Also you will have to test just as much as the rest of us .... regardless of pool size.

Forgot that the TF 50 doesn't have the PH test or the color comparison FC test either. My bad. ?
The TF 100 is the best value. ?

Not sure how you got those numbers, but pool math says you need 17oz of 8.25% bleach to get you to 3 FC (that's just over a pint I'd suggest you could put that in now), 79 oz of borax, and 39 oz of liquid stabilizer or ~ 1 lb of granular (I'd suggest). But yes, you should really get the TF-100 test kit to get accurate test results.

Thank you all for your help. I knew my numbers were off the chart for that pool. Thank you Timerguy. Although it is a small pool I don't want that beautiful water getting gross.

I see all your beautiful big pools on here and feel silly about my itty bitty one. But it will serve my purpose as I will use it for therapy everyday all year. When it is snowing out side I am going to love it, I'm sure. Better than being a couch potato. :rockon:
And you all would be surprised with my somewhat "garage makeover" However I had to compromise as my husband would not let me have the entire garage. LOL I took what I could get happily. he he

On a more serious note... I really need to figure out how my numbers were so terribly wrong! Geeze :(

Thanks everyone.

Got the water balanced and the pool is glorious! :snorkle: Went over my calculations and honestly I have no idea how I got those crazy#'s. :crazy: My advise to anyone out there... Don't be afraid to ask! These people are great and really can help.
Thank you so much TFP.
You all are great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.