Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ball inside inground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ball inside inground pool?

So I closed out my pool awhile back, everything went fine. I had a lot of help on here, and did as much research as I could. Today my Dad asked me if I put a ball inside the pool to keep the walls from cracking? I never once came across people mentioning putting some kind of ball in the water?

Anyone know if I just killed my pool, or if this is something to worry about?

Thanks!
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ball inside inground pool?

It is important to put a ball, inner tube, air pillow, etc under an above ground pool cover. But there is nothing similar for an in-ground pool. The ball helps distribute the weight of the above ground pool cover uniformly around the pool, which helps prevent the walls from collapsing. In ground pools do not have this issue as the walls are backed by lots of dirt and can't possibly "fall over".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What about the pool water freezing and pushing out on the in grounds walls? Could this crack it (this was his reasoning) As I said I have not seen anyone on here mention it, just curious.

Thanks!
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

4. Back To Top    #4

That really isn't an issue. The walls are very well supported by the surrounding dirt, and can't be pushed out from simple freezing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason for putting my mind at rest!