Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New PebbleTec Carbonation

1. Back To Top    #1

New PebbleTec Carbonation

Anyone here of this happening with Newly installed PT?
    Carbonation because of alkalinity?
    Causing white blotches on the newly laid surface of the PT.
    In ground
    Intelliflo VS
    Side suction Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New PebbleTec Carbonation

Anyone even hear of such a thing?
    I'm thinking the pool company is full of bull!?
    In ground
    Intelliflo VS
    Side suction Robot

3. Back To Top    #3

Calcium scaling can occur if TA and/or PH are high. That would leave white blotches on the pebble surface. To help prevent this it is critical that you keep the PH under control, especially during the first four weeks. If you fail to maintain the PH it is quite common to experience calcium scaling.

I've never heard anything called "Carbonation", but the rest of the description really sounds like calcium scaling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Calcium scaling can occur if TA and/or PH are high. That would leave white blotches on the pebble surface. To help prevent this it is critical that you keep the PH under control, especially during the first four weeks. If you fail to maintain the PH it is quite common to experience calcium scaling.

I've never heard anything called "Carbonation", but the rest of the description really sounds like calcium scaling.
    It's not calcium or scaling I know that for certain. Pool was just done about 3 months ago, and it would have formed on the tile also.
    Salt water system and I am keeping the ph in range.

Yeah I am well versed on the calcium department. that I why the pool was redone...

But i had never heard of carbonation of New Pebble tech
    In ground
    Intelliflo VS
    Side suction Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by swimmerdude View Post
    Anyone even hear of such a thing?
    Isn't that what happened to Hans Solo in The Empire Strikes Back?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

When the cement in the plaster cures, it creates calcium hydroxide. Carbonates in the water replace the hydroxide to form more durable calcium carbonate. This is what the bicarb startup tries to accomplish. This is sometimes referred to as carbonation.

However, what you're describing sounds like calcium carbonate scaling. This can happen when some of the calcium hydroxide gets in the water and becomes carbonated to calcium carbonate. This is sometimes referred to as plaster dust. An essential part of new plaster startup is controlling plaster dust. This includes daily brushing, filtration and careful control of the chemistry

Note: There is something called the Carbonaro effect. But that's a TV show.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    When the cement in the plaster cures, it creates calcium hydroxide. Carbonates in the water replace the hydroxide to form more durable calcium carbonate. This is what the bicarb startup tries to accomplish. This is sometimes referred to as carbonation.

However, what you're describing sounds like calcium carbonate scaling. This can happen when some of the calcium hydroxide gets in the water and becomes carbonated to calcium carbonate. This is sometimes referred to as plaster dust. An essential part of new plaster startup is controlling plaster dust. This includes daily brushing, filtration and careful control of the chemistry

Note: There is something called the Carbonaro effect. But that's a TV show.
    This site is a book of knowledge. I love when the internet is used for good...
    Thanks.
    Anything to reverse the affects?
    In ground
    Intelliflo VS
    Side suction Robot

8. Back To Top    #8

Brush at least daily. Maintain the pH at about 7.2 to 7.4 for a while. Can you post a full set of test results including temperature?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Brush at least daily. Maintain the pH at about 7.2 to 7.4 for a while. Can you post a full set of test results including temperature?
    I usually sit around 7.4 -7.8
    the total alkalinity is around 120-130
    water temp freezing cold or at least feels like it...
    In ground
    Intelliflo VS
    Side suction Robot

10. Back To Top    #10

What is the calcium hardness?