Do I need to replace DE filters on a schedule?

jon777

Oct 31, 2014
Jupiter, FL
I got the following from my pool maintenance company? (Pentair DE filter)

This e-mail is to inform you that your DE filter elements need to be replaced. The manufacture suggests that your filter elements be replaced every 3 years, as a courtesy to you we backwash your filter every two weeks to try and stretch its life for as long as possible. These are important to have replaced because they help deliver better water flow rates that help enhance your filtration. They also help reduce any wear and tear on the pump, and allows them to use less energy and provides a longer life to the cartridge. The cost of DE Filter element replacement is $425.00plus tax. If you could please contact me and let me know you are ok with us replacing your filter elements at this time it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

It seems from reading here and on the web, it doesn't seem to be strict guidelines on this -- seems they can last signficantly longer. They can be cleaned (per the tutorial on this forum) and only need to be replaced if there is a tear, or if things seems to be getting through. Is this just BS by the pool company trying to get $300 from me? Or does Pentair actually recommend this (I'm going to give them a call shortly).

The current pressure is running around 13 (not sure if it was backwashed today or last week) so it doesn't seem like there is any performance issue currently.

Should I replace filters, wash filters, or just leave them alone?

Sounds like a money grab attempt to to me. :grrrr:

Not to mention the points they make are false. Wear/tear on the pump is bogus. And if they did restrict the water flow, that would actually use LESS electricity to run the pump (assuming you do not have a VF pump that would speed itself up).

The grids can last a long long time if you maintain the chemistry properly. I replaced all mine (no idea how old they were) due to cracking. It was less than $150 off ebay for all 8.

You should be backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. And you should break it down completely for a cleaning yearly.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I don't know of any such recommendation by Pentair, Hayward or Jandy. There is no reason to replace the grids on a three year schedule. Under good conditions, the grids can last over ten years. As long as they're working well and not allowing DE to pass, they shouldn't need to be replaced.

If their only basis is that the grids are three years old, then I don't think that they're giving you good advice.

So do they do your chemical service and clean the filters and all maintenance? Personally, I would fire them for trying to take advantage. All this is generally easy to do yourself.

I would suggest asking the service company for a copy of the reference they are relying on as the basis for their claim. If they can't supply it, I would have no confidence in them any more.

Too bad you live in Florida. I'd do it for you for twenty five bucks less than they bid.

It's a scam. Most equipment manuals are available online. Since you haven't filled out your signature, we can't look it up and show you, but I haven't seen anything giving a lifespan on filter parts.

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.