Hayward skimmer - gate doesn't float

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
Hi,
I installed the hayward widemouth skimmer in my pool. It is awesome. But one thing bothers me. When the pump stops running, the little gate is supposed to float up to prevent stuff in the skimmer basket from flowing back into the pool. But it doesn't.
My theory is it's because the ultra-frame pool wall slants inward so the skimmer is slanted upward.
Any ideas on how to get it to float up? I'm thinking of getting some sort of fishing float and attaching it to the gate. Seems awkward though.

Hi,
I installed the hayward widemouth skimmer in my pool. It is awesome. But one thing bothers me. When the pump stops running, the little gate is supposed to float up to prevent stuff in the skimmer basket from flowing back into the pool. But it doesn't.
My theory is it's because the ultra-frame pool wall slants inward so the skimmer is slanted upward.
Any ideas on how to get it to float up? I'm thinking of getting some sort of fishing float and attaching it to the gate. Seems awkward though.

Good Day. It would be great to get a video or picture of what is happening so I can help. You may be right. Is the gate just not floating up or is it getting caught on something?

John the Hayward Tech
[email protected]

The gate has no foam in it. I ordered another gate - hopefully it will have foam in it. Meanwhile I propped the gate up with a rock and it works WAY better - the suction is at least triple what it was. I had no idea how badly it was working until now.
Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.