Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter hot tub care. Need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter hot tub care. Need advice

Hi.

This will be my first winter with a hot tub and I wanted to know how do you deal with ice built upon your cover, as show below. I want to scrap it off but I'm worried I will damage the cover leather. It's pretty stuck there and I can't just slide it off. Any tips on the best way to approach this?

20,000 Gallons Vinyl 16x32 Inground with Stamped concrete decking. Hayward Sand Filter. DIY Diaphragm pump injection system. K-2006C Test Kit.
    450 Gallons Standalone Acrylic CALSPA 2006.
    Canadians, Get your test kit here!.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter hot rub care. Need advice

I would use a push broom to keep the bulk of it off the cover and that should help.

Additionally, you could rig a tarp over it, and peel it off once in a while and put it back.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Push broom, snow broom or something not sharp. The biggest issue that I have had with my hot tubs thruout the years has been covers failing. And usually because they start to take on moisture and it is all downhill from there. So I say keep all sharp objects away from the cover. A little snow in there is fine.
    Leaf blower??

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

There a smaller push-style utility broom, eg the kind you'd use to scrub a deck, that's strong enough to clear the 1.5 feet on my cover this a.m. Got it at Lowes.

Don't worry about the ice...it will melt enough when you open the lid for a soak and slide off.

In the winter if I'm hot tubbing alone, I just open one side...easier
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

Alright. Thanks for the tips everyone
    20,000 Gallons Vinyl 16x32 Inground with Stamped concrete decking. Hayward Sand Filter. DIY Diaphragm pump injection system. K-2006C Test Kit.
    450 Gallons Standalone Acrylic CALSPA 2006.
    Canadians, Get your test kit here!.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Winter hot tub care. Need advice

It's best to broom the snow off before it freezes if u can. I have taken a tool of somekind and gently cracked the ice but only when u catch it a little soft, maybe on an afternoon then it will slide off. Not rec when it is solid and firmly stuck to the cover

13000 gallon pool, SWG, DE Filter, 2 sheer descent waterfalls, built Jan 2014