Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about my Jandy Stealth Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about my Jandy Stealth Pump

I went out today to empty out my baskets and noticed my main pump was only about 1/4 of the way full with water and I had no pressure in my filters.

I immediately turned everything off and called my PB (still under warranty) They are sending a Jandy tech to look over everything. What could be the issue?

- both skimmer baskets were clean
    - could the pipe between pool and pump be clogged?
    - Leak? (doubtful as there is no puddled water seaping up from ground)

When I ran in spa mode all valves functioned properly but main pump seemed to only fill halfway with water.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about my Jandy Stealth Pump

That could be a suction side air leak or a blocked impeller or a pressure side blockage of some kind.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I now notice one of my return lines spitting out bubbles/air. Definitely has to be a leak?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have seen this countless times doubtful that its a suction leak sounds like a clogged impeller or dirty filters best way to check if its a suction leak is to get a garden hose run it over the front of the pump when the pump is running if it primes up and starts too run fine then boom you now know you have a suction leak other was check impeller and or clean the filters
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

5. Back To Top    #5

I would suspect a suction side air leak due to the air bubbles coming out.

It could also be a stuck weir, or low water level.

6. Back To Top    #6

-The bubbles are only coming out of one return line (closest to the equipment)
    -Water Level is fine not low
    - When I ran the pump yesterday noticed it filled up almost all the way to the top, seemed to have more suction than day before.
    - I performed a filter back wash in October and equip was running great. no issues.

I'm wondering if return line is clogged or if the winter weather has something to do with it. We did reach 32 degrees for a couple of hours 2 nights ago when I noticed the problems.

Jandy tech is suppose to come out ot the house today or tomorrow.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

When you say backwash is it a sand or D.E Filter ? did you try running a garden hose over the front of the plumbing on the pump ?
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

8. Back To Top    #8

SacPoolPros - Not a sand filter, I open the case, remove the filters and hose them down and place back in filter assembly. Is backwashing not the correct term? I'm still learning please correct me if I'm wrong

So the Jandy tech came out and replaced the port lid, everything seems to be working fine now.

What would be the point of spraying the main pump unit with water?
    How would this trigger the unit to start up on its own?
    Should I be concerned in the future that the old port lid only lasted 6 months or was this a one off thing?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123 View Post
    SacPoolPros - Not a sand filter, I open the case, remove the filters and hose them down and place back in filter assembly. Is backwashing not the correct term? I'm still learning please correct me if I'm wrong

So the Jandy tech came out and replaced the port lid, everything seems to be working fine now.

What would be the point of spraying the main pump unit with water?
    How would this trigger the unit to start up on its own?
    Should I be concerned in the future that the old port lid only lasted 6 months or was this a one off thing?
    To answer one of the questions, we would pour water over the pipe to allow the sucking air leak to draw in the water instead of allowing it to draw more air creating air pockets. if the pump primes after applying the water it lets us know that the air leak is somewhere on that section of pipe.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like you have a cartridge filter ... so backwashing is not the correct term. You are just cleaning the cartridges.

An issues on the return side would have nothing to do with air being pulled into the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!