It's been green awhile

Yeah, I'm with Hotrod to make the repair first.

When that's done, I would clear the water as quickly as possible by KEEPING YOUR FC AT SHOCK LEVEL 24/7 and running your pump up near the 40 or so gpm setting.

By comparison, my old single speed pump runs at about 95gpm and 18psi.

I have a larger pool but a single speed pump in a pool your size will typically run about 40-50gpm or so.......some even higher if the filter is big enough.

Your VF pump is running at low speed because it has no knowledge your water is a mess. Once your water is clear, you can return to your 2-3 turnovers per day with no problem. Leaving it there now is going to make your clearing process painfully slower.

Hotrod: I know you're awaiting my valve as anxiously as me :roll: so here is the update. I got a hold of the UPS tracking number today and it didn't ship until Monday. It left Hodgkins, IL yesterday and is scheduled for arrival tomorrow.
:sleep:

Ah, you mean a clarifier. Clarifiers rarely do anything, but every now and then they make a big difference. In general we discourage the use of clarifiers. The vast majority of the time you need to kill all the algae and then give the filter time to do it's job.

I haven't seen a set of water test results in a while. I wouldn't waste time with a clarifier until you had ruled out the much more obvious possibilities, which requires recent water test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since mid-day August 26th, the lowest the FC has tested is 17. I've been trying to keep it as close to 25 as possible. It is my understanding that most of the other tests don't read correctly at FC levels this high. Is there something else I should be testing as well?

Overnight FC loss is an important test. Measure the FC level in the evening and again first thing in the morning. If the numbers are the same or within 1.0 of each other you have killed off all the organics.

It would also be good to know your CC and CH levels. CC is another indicator of algae problems and high CH levels can cause cloudy water. TA is presumably still around 80, but I didn't see a CH level in your previous reports. I have also lost track of your CYA level, is it still very high or did you lower it?

I just tested and have FC of 18.5 (last time I added was about 6 hours ago) and CC of 0. As for the CH, I may have to wait for my wife. I'm color deficient and the 20 drops didn't appear to turn the sample red. Last time Leslie's tested CH it was 250 and I've used 12 lbs of cal-hypo since then.

I don't think I've displaced enough water to reduce the CYA yet so I'm still assuming close to 100.

Calcium clouding seems unlikely, though it is still a possibility. CC is zero, that is very good.

If the FC level remains steady overnight then I would check to see if there is an issue with the filter. If the FC level falls overnight I would suspect that your CYA level is higher than we think and start shocking to a higher level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.