TFP an aquarium?

3dogowner

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2014
Seattle, WA
Anyone tried to clear a fresh water aquarium by shocking it? I only have 2 snails left and lots of algae; I plan on removing the snails first, but as I'm breaking this aquarium down for storage everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly....was thinking it would be nice to just have to empty a cleaned aquarium rather than a dirty one and have to clean everything individually....I'm worried if the chloramine stink might be overwhelming indoors......

Anyone?
65 gallons, room temp.

While it would be possible to shock it and kill all the algae, I think it'd be just as much work as dumping it and cleaning everything separately. Also by cleaning it separately you know that each crack and crevice is clean and ready for next time. Another concern I'd have is the effect that much chlorine would have on all the parts, as I'm sure they weren't designed for chlorine service. It'd be bad to shock it and kill all the algae and then find out all the plants, rocks, etc. where now white.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.