Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP an aquarium?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question TFP an aquarium?

Anyone tried to clear a fresh water aquarium by shocking it? I only have 2 snails left and lots of algae; I plan on removing the snails first, but as I'm breaking this aquarium down for storage everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly....was thinking it would be nice to just have to empty a cleaned aquarium rather than a dirty one and have to clean everything individually....I'm worried if the chloramine stink might be overwhelming indoors......

Anyone?
    65 gallons, room temp.
    3150 gallon (8'x14'x3.75') vinyl lined Original Endless Pool opened 10/10/2014 - chlorine based with UV sanitizer, 50 SF filter cartridge, AG outdoors with opaque retractable cover, Gecko controller In.ex 4 Kw heater, 88 F, triple insulated; Sundance Altamar 390 gallon spa opened July 2000; chlorine based conversion from Baqua Oct 2014; outdoors, on deck, covered, 98F, no ozonator/sanitizer, 125 SF filter cartridge. FAS-DPD chlorine testing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFP an aquarium?

While it would be possible to shock it and kill all the algae, I think it'd be just as much work as dumping it and cleaning everything separately. Also by cleaning it separately you know that each crack and crevice is clean and ready for next time. Another concern I'd have is the effect that much chlorine would have on all the parts, as I'm sure they weren't designed for chlorine service. It'd be bad to shock it and kill all the algae and then find out all the plants, rocks, etc. where now white.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: TFP an aquarium?

Its a really boring aquarium with nothing but gravel, two snails and algae. Fish swam under the rainbow bridge ages ago. It was always too much work to clean all those bits and pieces. So I got a pool instead.
    3150 gallon (8'x14'x3.75') vinyl lined Original Endless Pool opened 10/10/2014 - chlorine based with UV sanitizer, 50 SF filter cartridge, AG outdoors with opaque retractable cover, Gecko controller In.ex 4 Kw heater, 88 F, triple insulated; Sundance Altamar 390 gallon spa opened July 2000; chlorine based conversion from Baqua Oct 2014; outdoors, on deck, covered, 98F, no ozonator/sanitizer, 125 SF filter cartridge. FAS-DPD chlorine testing.