Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Temperature Effect on Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Temperature Effect on Testing

Just wondering if water temperature would have any appreciable effect on testing results? Just started doing my own pool maintenance and care late this spring. Over the summer my water temperature was typically 80+ degrees fahrenheit. Now the water temp is regularly in 55-65 degree range. I live in southern California. Thanks in advance for any info that may provide......
    First time pool owner. IG pool & spa combo. Approx. 18,000 gal. White plaster.
    Free-form(ish), roughly 30' x 15'. Titan RPM D.E. Filter (48 sq. ft. filter area).
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-6 pump (1.5 HP, 1 speed). Pentair 300K BTU/hr NG heater.
    Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner. Plaster & all equipment age: 5+ years.
    TF100 test kit and AquaChek strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Temperature Effect on Testing

Water temperatures don't really matter to any of the tests except the CYA test. There are situations where cold water can cause the CYA test to read low, though that doesn't always happen. Cold water makes it more important to do the chlorine and PH tests soon after taking the water sample, though that is always important regardless.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

On my salt water pool my ppm of salt seems to increase as the temperature drops. I read the salt ppm from my panel. it went from 3100 ppm to 3300 ppm in the last couple of weeks as the water temp has dropped from the low 70's to the mid 50's.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Electronic salt meters are affected by temperature, but the salt strips and drop test are not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick reply! Funny thing is, my CYA did test a little lower than I expected. It was still in the acceptable range, but probably 10 ppm less than I expected. I always do my tests within 5 minutes of taking the sample.
    First time pool owner. IG pool & spa combo. Approx. 18,000 gal. White plaster.
    Free-form(ish), roughly 30' x 15'. Titan RPM D.E. Filter (48 sq. ft. filter area).
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-6 pump (1.5 HP, 1 speed). Pentair 300K BTU/hr NG heater.
    Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner. Plaster & all equipment age: 5+ years.
    TF100 test kit and AquaChek strips.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's interesting to know because we close down for the summer, but still test water periodically to keep the water balanced. When we are open our water temp is 85 degrees and when we are closed we drop it to 55 degrees. Thanks I have learned that when at the temp of 55 degrees I need to test that water for chlorine and the ph immediately after getting the sample. This forum is awesome
    Last edited by annaj; 11-20-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Dawson, MN.,135,000 gallon indoor pool with a sand filter system and a auto-chem feed. I believe it is a BECSYS 3 feeder. The pool is located in a High School and only open from Nov.- Apr. It is also and IG pool I use the Taylor 2006 test kit and love it