Loud, high pitched whisperflo?

Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
Been having a few problems lately. First, my heater's unitherm governor blew out, and in the process I discovered the heater is shot. Right after, I noticed my sand filter is also leaking. And now my pump has gotten super loud.

It's a 2hp whisperflo (here's a pic: http://imgur.com/43ZemhG ). I've watched a few videos for "loud whisperflo" and all of them sound lower pitched than the sound this is making. It's extremely loud, and I'm able to hear it inside the house. (The pump sits all the way across the backyard!)

We've also had a handful of freezing nights since this all started. Wondering what the issue might be and what might have caused it? (The heater, the cold, etc?)

Higher pitched noise is suggestive of the bearings starting to fail. The most likely cause is something getting them wet, commonly a bad shaft seal, though several other sources are possible.

If that's the case, am I better off replacing the unit, rebuilding, or replacing with a 2-speed/variable?

From the serial number, I'm guessing it was manufactured in '01.

If the housing does not show any signs of deterioration, a motor replacement may be all you need. No need to replace the whole Whisperflo when a motor is all you need. You can replace it like for like using the cat or part number on your motor label. There is always the ECM27SQU for the for the variable speeed option. If you have a 35K pool and wanted a variable speed whole pump I would look into getting the IntelliFlo (011018) since the wet ends are identical so there would be no be plumbing changes needed.

If only changing the motor, no matter the type you replace it with the shaft seal needs to be added with it. A bad shaft seal leads to a bad motor.

If the housing does not show any signs of deterioration, a motor replacement may be all you need. No need to replace the whole Whisperflo when a motor is all you need. You can replace it like for like using the cat or part number on your motor label. There is always the ECM27SQU for the for the variable speeed option. If you have a 35K pool and wanted a variable speed whole pump I would look into getting the IntelliFlo (011018) since the wet ends are identical so there would be no be plumbing changes needed.

If only changing the motor, no matter the type you replace it with the shaft seal needs to be added with it. A bad shaft seal leads to a bad motor.

On a 13 year old thermo-plastic pump I don't think I would waste my time with a motor swap.

Here's what I've got:
  • 35k/gal pool
  • Waterfall, 3 fountains, spa
  • Salt system and in Texas, so I end up running it ~15hrs/day in the summer. Runs ~8 in the winter.
  • Currently pay 5.78 cents per KWh

Cost on different pump options currently are:
  • $485 - Pentair 011774 WhisperFlo
  • $962 - Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo

What's my best option? I've read enough not to trust savings calculators for the variable. Not sure how to tell if there's a big enough cost savings to make it worth 2x the price of the single speed.

With electricity that low you are very unlikely to ever pay back the higher cost of the variable speed.

A two speed pump is still a good idea, perhaps the Pentair 011524 WhisperFlo, assuming you have 230 volts on the pump circuit. It should be around $650.

With electricity that low you are very unlikely to ever pay back the higher cost of the variable speed.

A two speed pump is still a good idea, perhaps the Pentair 011524 WhisperFlo, assuming you have 230 volts on the pump circuit. It should be around $650.

Would the two-speed work with my Aquarite? From what I understand, I'd need to use high speed when backwashing, running a water feature or the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You either have the name wrong, or some related confusion. An AquaRite is a Hayward SWG, which does not get involved in controlling the pump. Perhaps you have an automation system of some kind? If so, just about every automation system knows how to control a two speed pump, including things like switching to high when you turn the fountain on, though some require that you add a two speed pump relay.

Ok, that's the issue. I'm referring to the control panel inside my house. I was under the impression it was labeled as "aquarite" :oops:

I'll take a look when I get home to determine the model an see if I need an additional relay. Thanks for the help!

The automation unit is a compool Lx3600. From what I can tell, I'll need to buy the Pentair RLYLXD 2-speed pump relay for $102.

Also, my current connections to the motor appear to be glued in, and is sitting on a block of concrete to raise it up. Should I replace it in a similar fashion?

IMG_0467.jpg

After seeing pictures of the pump I would like to revise my previous statement. Replace it all, that pump looks cooked lol.

The LX3600 looks to be the power center. Does your control look like the CP3600 on this owners manual link? http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/cp3600OM.pdf

Yes, that's my control panel.

I've ordered the 2-speed pump and the relay. Found a open-box pump on Amazon for $200 off which helps.
Now am just trying to decide wether to attempt the install myself or have the pool guy do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.