Do I need to run the water features

zethacat

LifeTime Supporter
Take a look at my equipment and tell me if you think I need to run the water features when the pumps antifreeze is kicking on.. if that's the case, I'd need to ramp up the speed quite a bit because when all valves are open nothing comes out of the waterslide unless I turn the pump up to almost 3000 RPM. If I close the returns I can run the features at a much lower speed, which is what I do when I'm actually using them for a purpose, but with ALL valves open, there just isn't enough flow to service every return and water feature without running at a high speed.

The 4 valves on the right are the water features, and you can see I have them individually on, but the whole line of them is turned completely off right now and all flow is routing through the returns.

20141114_023_zpsb1205416.jpg

You could drain the waterfall line, blow it out and just close if off. This would prevent any issue with the waterfall. Same with the slide. Is there any other type of water feature you have?

If you don't want to go to that trouble, leave the valves open (important to prevent bursting), tarp the pipe/equipment and put a light bulb on under the tarp. This is actually a prudent action anyway just in case power goes out or some other problem with freeze protection. That should protect the pad equipment with or without the pump.

Is there any other plumbing that is above ground not shown in the picture?

BTW, I see you have pressure side cleaner. That hose will definitely freeze quickly and first. Another reason to tarp/heat the equipment.

The only other exposed plumbing is in/out on the heater -- see pic:

20141114_021_zps7dfe23f6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have my pump running 24/7. Even though I don't need it, at 1000 rpm its only using the equivalent of 2 60 watt light bulbs of electricity. If I open the water features line, I'm going to be having some unwanted aeration

- - - Updated - - -

Also there is water moving through the booster pump line even when it's not on as long as the main pump is running. It's much less than the other returns, but it's definitely flowing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.