Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: jetski test tank help

1. Back To Top    #1

jetski test tank help

i just got a jetski test tank. its small. about 15ft long 5ft wide and 3ft deep.
    i use it to test carbs and see how skis run. i run mostly 2 stroke jetskis which put alot of oil in the water.
    tank came with an intex sand filter. any ideas on how to filter the tank and be able to use the water as long as possible?
    IMG_8298[1].JPG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: jetski test tank help

Welcome to TFP!!!

At most that is about 1500 gallons of water. Which will likely cost you much less than $15 to fill. I am not sure it is worth the effort to try to install a pump and filter system. You could maintain a little chlorine in the water to prevent algae ... although the jetski will not care if there is algae. There is not a huge need to keep this water sanitary since no one will be swimming in it.

You could add a cheap Intex pump/filter combo, but all a pump and filter would do would be to remove any debris. You will need to worry about chemistry if you want to prevent algae and make the water sanitary.

I kind of wonder what the effects of chlorine on the jetski pump/seals might be ....
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

it has a intex sand filter running now on it. just got it going. just trying to minimize the oil rings i get on the skis i put in there. water doesnt need to be swimming pool clean at all.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, oils are a completely different issue witch the pump/filter may not help very much with. You may need to keep some "scumballs" to try to absorb the oils or maybe use some enzyme products to break the oils down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the tip. ill buy some scumballs and see how it goes.. would a paper cartridge cleaner work better than sand?

6. Back To Top    #6

The problem with paper filters is how often you'd have to change them.

I'd look for a small coolant oil skimmer and run that to remove the oil, and use the sand filter to after that to remove debris.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

You should look into an oil skimmer. The machine shop industry has many to choose from.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process