Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Depth of Spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Depth of Spa

My PB just finished gunite of our 7'x7' square in-ground spa.
    When I sit in it, my feet dangle by 6-8". Is the spa too deep? I'm 6' tall so it will be worse for people with shorter legs.
    We can easily pour concrete in the bottom when they pour the decking to raise it up if recommended.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Depth of Spa

I think deeper is better.

Just a personal preference and I'm only basing it on being in some old, large wooden tubs out west. To me, they felt huge and luxurious compared to my "regular sized" hot tub. We went on vacation a few years ago to a place that had a "half sized" spa - - it was maybe 3 feet high, maybe only two, and it really felt small. You sort of had to be laying down to get most of your body underwater.

If I were you, I'd keep it as is until you've used it for a while. You can always drain it and add more concrete a year from now if you don't like. But I'd try it first and experiment with different level seats and/or floors
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Your feet really shouldn't dangle in a spa. Seems to me that it would be uncomfortable after awhile. How is the depth above the seat?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Depth above the seat is perfect around 22". We have 5 jets, and I had him put them all at different heights from low back to just below shoulders since it will mainly be used by both of us.
    I went to the gym yesterday and their outdoor spa I could barely touch the floor with the balls of my feet. The indoor spa I could touch my feet flat to the ground.

Thanks