raypak

ameyer

Nov 16, 2014
phoenix az
I am going to install my new raypak 8350TIE and have a couple questions. first the way they plumbed my filter I need to have the heat pump about 8 ft away from the filter. It looks to me that I will need to put the 2 in underground for the inlet and outlet because it would be a tripping hazard to get to the Pentair panel that is mounted on the garage wall for the pool. do you see any problem with this thought on the install? second in the instruction manuel it says that over 2 hp there should be a bypass valve installed, should there also be a valve on the inlet and outlet pipe also?
thanks
al

I can't visualize the first part of your question well enough to answer, but you don't need two valves for the heater. One to the inlet side will be enough. Just remember to split the flow when you have freeze conditions. I like having the by-pass options for a few reasons, but some PB's don't put them in. I asked for mine, or otherwise wouldn't have gotten it, and I have a Pentair VS pump.

Burying the pipes is not a problem. You could also run both pipes along the wall at ground level and then angle them up to the heater but that would make it a little difficult to install a by-pass. Lots of installers never install a by-pass but you can very easily. You just need two valves and a couple of T's. Put one of the valves on the inlet above the T and then I would put the other valve between the T's.

question, is it necessary to have the bypass valve? it does say in the heater manual for a 2 hp pump or more to install a valve. thought because I need to bury them because if I did not the pipe above ground would be in the way to get at the panel. I was going to put tees in the inlet and outlet with the bypass valve between inlet and outlet. because they would be buried I am going to have the valve in a sprinkler valve box with a lid on it.
another ne w problem is that I found out today that my warranty will not be good if I install it myself. need to figure that one out to.
thanks al

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!
raypak is in and working. thanks to all for the replies. another question. Pentair easy touch panel. can I wire into the easy touch to turn on the pump when the raypak calls for heat. right now when the pump comes on the heater will come on if needed but when it heats to the set temp it the heat pump stops but pump will still work unless it times out or I manually shut it off. need heater to dictate when pump comes on.
thanks
al meyer

You should setup things so the EasyTouch has control of the heater, not the other way around. The Raypak is setup to always call for heat, and then the EasyTouch has a remote shutoff, so it only comes on when the EasyTouch thinks it should.

The way EasyTouch works the pump needs to be on for the heater to go on, but you can set things up so the pump will stay on as long as the water isn't up to temperature.

thanks so if I use the remote setup in the easy touch if it calls for heat the pump will come on and then the raypak would start. then if it the heat reaches its correct temp the pump will shut down along with the raypak. am I correct in my thinking this?
thanks Al

Mostly correct. The EasyTouch has a schedule for the pump. The pump turns on and off on the schedule. You can also setup a button to run the pump for say an hour after you press the button. In addition to all of that, there is a setting that continues to run the pump (once it turns on for some other reason) for as long as the water is below the target temperature.

Pentair automation can be confusing unless you think about things the way Pentair does. If you do it "their way" it is quite easy, but if you expect it to work another way it can be really confusing.

The heater will never turn the pump on. The Easytouch is the only thing that can turn the pump and the heater on. Well, besides you manually turning them on. Once the Easytouch turns the pump on, if the heater is set up correctly and the system calls for heat, the heater will turn on. Then the Easytouch will monitor the water temp and when it reaches your preset temp, it will turn off the heater. The pump will continue to run as most likely it's during its scheduled time to run. Now there is a freeze protect option on the Easytouch but with a heat pump, it's really ineffective.

Do you have the Easytouch wired into the heat pump so it can control it?

The heater will never turn the pump on. The Easytouch is the only thing that can turn the pump and the heater on. Well, besides you manually turning them on. Once the Easytouch turns the pump on, if the heater is set up correctly and the system calls for heat, the heater will turn on. Then the Easytouch will monitor the water temp and when it reaches your preset temp, it will turn off the heater. The pump will continue to run as most likely it's during its scheduled time to run. Now there is a freeze protect option on the Easytouch but with a heat pump, it's really ineffective.

Do you have the Easytouch wired into the heat pump so it can control it?

No I do not right now when my pump comes on according to the schedule the heat pump will then come on for heat. I have the pump scheduled to come on at 6:00am until 12:00pm during the week and from 10:00am till I think 5:00pm sat and sunday. during the week after 12:00 is peak time and it is 4 times as much per kwh. so far I have been able to capture what I lose during the night. if need be I will run it longer on weekends. Back to your question no the easy touch does not control the heat, the raypak does.I was looking at the easytouch manuel to wire it into the panel. looks like I use yellow and green pin on the board. anyone know for sure if I am correct.
thanks al

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.