Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: StaRite Multiport selector valve issue

1. Back To Top    #1

StaRite Multiport selector valve issue

Hi, first time poster and pool owner. I was going to backwash my DE filter and switched the multiport selector while the pump was running. I didn't realize not to do that (to only change positions when the pump was off). Now water only comes out of the backwash hose no matter what position I put the selector on. What can I do?? Do I have to replace the valve or can it possibly be repaired? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: StaRite Multiport selector valve issue

You most likely dislodged the spider gasket. You can take the valve apart and if it isn't torn you can put it back in place. Worse case, you'll have to replace the gasket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    You most likely dislodged the spider gasket. You can take the valve apart and if it isn't torn you can put it back in place. Worse case, you'll have to replace the gasket.
    Bama is right and it is pretty straight forward to correct or replace a spider gasket. In case you are new I would suggest reading a guide or two to make sure you know what to do before you open the valve.

Here is a guide and video I found about replacing a multiport valve's spider gasket: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...ort_valve.aspx

4. Back To Top    #4

Bama Rambler and Citizen, thanks for the replies. That is exactly what happened. I purchased/replaced the gasket yesterday and waiting to test function today (after waiting for silicone adhesive to cure - I was advised to use a small amount to secure it to the plastic).

5. Back To Top    #5

Glad it was an easy remedy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Me too, haha