Hayward H400IDPL Heater Problem. Flame lasts only few seconds.

Apr 20, 2014
USA
I’m having a problem with a Hayward H400IDPL Heater.

The flames come on but then go away after only a few seconds.

The heater will keep trying and cycle like this without giving an error code.

The exhaust will be hot for only maybe 3 seconds.

It seems to me like a problem with the flame sensor. The heater thinks there’s no flame and it’s filling up with gas.

Any ideas?

Thanks

If it were a flame sensor failure, the unit should post a IF on the display.

Is this a natural or propane gas unit? If propane, are you sure you have propane in the tank?

Take the front panel off and inspect the insides. Make sure that the burners are in place and there are no other obvious issues like chewed/burned wires. I would also check to make sure there is no obstruction in the burners or the orifices.

Hi, the heater after three tries should show a error code. If the heater is lighting than shutting down and continues to do this without an error code there could be something going on with the exchanger, firewalls or burners. I strongly recommend that you have a heater technician look at the heater.

John the Hayward tech
[email protected]

If the unit is sooted up, it can also cause this issue. Also a bad control board could cause it as well. Unless you really know what to look for, it can drive you crazy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.