LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just went through the SLAM process. My FC is still 13.5 and water looks much much better than 4 days ago. And the OLCT is 0.0 .... So I'll just let the CL normalize back to around 4-5.0

I decided to also check my PH this morning and it is very very RED. ( started with around 7.2 before SLAMMING). The figure now is much higher than the test kit's number of 8.2 .. (maybe 10?) Reading through the SLAM procedure there is no mention of a HIGH PH during this SLAM process, but skimming thru some other postings it appears that it is normal for this to happen. So my question is, do I add MA now to bring the PH back down, or do I just let the CL normalize and expect the PH to also drop? (Suggest that this detail be included in your SLAM link.)

Thanks again.

OK, I'm back looking for recommendations. So My CL level is back down, to 6.5, cc=0 .. Pool looks great, finally. My PH remains high - very very red (higher than the Test Kit's figure). No idea what the actual value is, but obviously higher than 8.0 ... I've added Muratic Acid - several times now and quite a bit based on Pool Calc .. but the color doesn't seem to want to budge. Thanks again.

The Taylor blue test kit K-1000 that came with my main TF-100 test kit. I bought a replacement bottle of the R-0004 reagant from Leslie's pools ... Reading the label it says "ph Indicator Solution - use with 2000 Series Comparator" << Maybe THAT's the issue ???? I wasn't aware that Reagants were Test-kit-specific ?????

Apparently you did not check the reagent number on your empty bottle. ;)

The smaller test block (in the TF-100) uses R-0014 for the pH. The K-200X has a larger test block that uses R-0004.

Try only using 2 or 3 drops and you should be able to get a good reading. Ideally you should get the correct reagent.

You can use the R-0004 in a pinch, just use two drops instead of five. Changing the number of drops will change the "saturation" of the color, but not the hue. When taking the measurement what matters is the hue (red/yellow/pink).

OK, thanks all ... I guess I was brain dead when I walked into Leslie's asking for that, and never really noticed the different numbers ... :) I'll get the correct refill & do the test with just 2 drops for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.