Question about start-up and borates

Mikedomme

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 22, 2014
Corona Ca
I would like to add borates to my pool. Should I do this ASAP or wait till the pool has been filled for a few months? I am currently towards the end of a build now (waiting on decking and plaster). I have already ordered my test kit tf-100 and I’m really anxious to put all the info I have gathered off this site to work.

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend waiting to add borates until you have all of your other levels where you want them. If everything goes well that will probably only be a couple of days after you fill the pool.

I found a place on line that sells boric acid. it looks to be less than 100bucks delivered. It looks to be cheaper than 17 boxes of borax and 5 gallons of muriatic acid. My question is, am I looking at the wrong Boric acid? Is there more than one kind? Is my math wrong? I thought the whole point of using the borax/ muriatic acid was to save money.

PS they are pouring concrete in the morning I will have to post pics soon.

If you shop around carefully then Borax and muriatic acid is almost always a little less expensive. But boric acid is close in cost, and much easier to handle. The largest advantage of using Borax and acid is that it is available locally, while nearly everywhere you need to mail order boric acid.

Boric acid that is "technical grade" or "food grade" is fine. If it doesn't have either of those grade labels, look for 99+% pure.

Boric acid is much easier to use than borax and muriatic acid. You can simply distribute boric acid across the surface of the pool all in one dose, and then leave the pump running for an hour.

Granular boric acid is best, powdered tends to blow around annoyingly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.