This was my first season owning a pool, and everything has gone great. Now I'm getting nervous! I plan to lower the water level to below the returns (overkill from what I've read but I'd rather be safe than sorry) and blow out the lines using an air compressor. I have ordered return covers and a gizzmo for the skimmer...hoping they arrive soon! I think the air compressor is 135 PSI, but I'm not home to check at the moment. I do not want to use antifreeze.
1. Is this air compressor ok or will I damage my lines? I don't own a shop-vac but I'm open to buying one if necessary. What is the minimum size I should buy?
2. I feel ok with backwashing the filter, removing the drain plugs, taking care of the return lines, etc., but not so sure about blowing out the main drain. Advice?
3. Do you take any special precautions to avoid getting rain water in through the skimmer cover? I think my cover may be wide enough but not sure yet...so again I'd rather have overkill.
4. I have umbrella holes (made from pvc pipe) in the concrete. I currently have foam in them now, but what else do I need to do to keep rain water out?
5. Do you take your pump motor inside?
6. Do I need to do anything with the light since the water will be lowered past the returns?
Hopefully these don't sound like dumb questions but since it's my first year, but I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!