Pentair Sta-rite Pld filter

Sep 16, 2014
Harvard, MA
We have just added a new Sta-rite PLD50 DE filter because the cartridge filter that came with our Endless Pool seemed undersized for our pool (over double the volume of a standard endless pool). We also have an iron problem with our well water, and sequestering agents say to backwash the filter before adding the agent. The problem is, I have read all the literature that came with the filter, and everything I can find online, and I can't find any instructions for backwashing this filter. Our installer showed us how to "backwash" by taking whole unit apart, hosing the cartridge off and reassembling, but I can't imagine that we have to go through that process just to backwash this filter, especially when the pre-purchase brochure claims that it is essentially maintenance free. Our pool is less than 5000 gallons - indoor, and the bather load is a max of two, except when the grandkids visit, maybe once a month. I have looked and looked, though, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of a backwash valve or setting on the filter, and as I said, nothing I can find in the literature. We do have a continuing iron problem, though, so I don't want to keep adding sequestering agents if they are just releasing metals in the filter back into the pool. It's a very expensive filter and it is very frustrating that the product manual is so vague. Our installer is no help. He has already given us bad info on several counts. Told us to put Vaseline on the O-ring, for instance. Fortunately, I read the literature before doing so. Does anyone have experience with these filters???

Thanks, Jackie

What size (model#) pump do you have? Both filters could be undersized. Filters need to be sized for not only the pool but also the pump.

The pump is a Sta-rite Opti-flo 1 Hp, model #OPT-N1-1HD-3-Std

- - - Updated - - -

So, do I need to do a full filter flush before each addition of sequestrant? In what way is that considered "maintenance free"?

This filter doesn't have any of the settings talked in about in the DE backwashing tutorial - backwash, rinse, etc.. There is no sightglass or plunger???

Here is the link to the filter PDF: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/S339CEngOM.pdf

And link to the "maintenance free" brochure: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/sys2moddeDS.pdf

Yours will be ten times easier than the one in the tutorial, since all you need to do is wash off the one huge cartridge inside. Just make sure the oring is nice and clean and lubed up (NOT with vaseline, obviously!!) before you close her back up and have the right amount of DE slurry ready to put in the skimmer (keep in mind the weight of DE is not the same as coffee. I usually use the scale from the bathroom to make sure Im putting in the right amount). Yes, DE filters are generally maintenance free meaning they go a long, long time without needing to be cleaned (or backwashed). I think the blurb about backwashing before adding your sequestrant is just to make sure you're doing it with a clean filter. If your pressure hasn't gone up any there is no reason to backwash IMO. I am no expert, but that just makes sense to me. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. However, if you really want to backwash and estimate how much DE to refill, you should be able to ... I can't imagine they didn't plumb you a backwash valve. Can you show us a pic of your equipment pad?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.