Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is metal frame preferred?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is metal frame preferred?

Looked at some sunrise spas tonite and apparently they are metal framed. Didn't know this was something I needed to think about (and maybe I don't) but the guy made a big deal out of it. I can't say as I know what the others we've seen are (Artesian/South Seas, Four Winds, Viking and Catalina). Does it matter? I can see how wood rots and all but I'm not sure in the grand scheme this is a deal breaker criteria but what do I know.

thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is metal frame preferred?

This shouldn't be the deciding factor. A good strong protected metal frame is a good thing, but so is a good strong well designed wood frame. Both will have issues if too lightweight or not properly cared for.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

A well made spa should last a good long time regardless of what the frame is made out of. That said, each of the common frame materials has some risks. Metal can corrode, wood can rot, plastic gets brittle with age, and so on. In the long run, good quality workmanship makes more of a difference than the basic kind of material. That is to say, poorly made metal will fail long before well made wood, just as poorly made wood will fail long before well made metal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not really looked closely at spas in a while. Our current Viking was a "come get this off my deck" acquisition. I guess it really comes down to what Jason said and what you are more comfortable with. I prefer to work with wood to repair if need be, but I grew up the son of a carpenter. If you are comfortable working with metal???

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I won't worry about it then. I'm personally more comfortable working with wood too, metal, bolting and cutting is ok, don't ask me to weld