Yet another CYA question

Oct 26, 2014
Thailand
Having drianed and refilled my pool and getting everything back on track the TFP way i was wondering about my CYA levels . I live in Thailand where the temp doesnt really drop much below 30°C most days and can reach 40°C+ sometimes , the pool is in direct sunlight all day and last year in the when it was 40°C the pool water temp hit 35°C . I have got the CYA up to 40 now and was wondering what people recomend for these conditions i see pool math recomends 30-50 but my conditions might be a might more to the higher end of average any one else living in these conditions what CYA do you run , thanks for any help

Your CYA level really isnt all that much dependedent on the temperature. What you need to focus on is maintaining your FC level to whatever your CYA is.
It is possible and some folks do, to bump up their CYA but along with it the FC needs to adjust upwards as well.

The thing about maintaining a higher CYA level, is that if you do happen to get an algae bloom, the more chlorine it will take and the more difficult it will be to rid yourself of the algae.

Here's a good rule of thumb, if you lose more than 3 ppm of FC a day to the sun, bump your CYA up. Take it to 50 and see how it does there. If your only losing 2-3 ppm of FC a day at 40 that would be normal. At a CYA level of 40 target your FC at 7 and never let it fall below 3. At that target you'll have wiggle room so you don't fall below your min. If you go to a CYA of 50, target FC at 8 and never below 4.
Water temp will effect your FC consumption. If your water temps get into the high 80's -90's, you'll notice your FC getting used up more than at lower water temps. ?

Once more thanks for your help i will double check my FC consumption for a few days see where it is and go from there at the mo it seems to be about 2-3 . So i would guess im near right level .I would like to know are there any benifits of running CYA any higher than these levels .

If your only losing 2-3 ppm of FC a day I don't see any benefit of a higher CYA level. FC gets consumed daily regardless.
Like I said previously, if your losing more than 3 ppm bump it up. Otherwise it's not broke so no need to fix it ! ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.