Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - Acid Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Question New Pool - Acid Question

Hello Guys, I my pool just finished getting built here in Kissimmee, FL and I have a concern.

The builder a GC came over and dumped 8 gallons of muriatic acid in the just filled pool. I asked why and he said to clean the plaster dust and residue.
    He said it's safe to swim in it in 3-4 days because the acid evaporates, is that true? I thought he had to use Soda ash to neutralize the acid.

Just before the acid the PH was at over 7.8 now it's way low, it doesn't even register in the test kit.

I have a pool guy coming over on Saturday as I'm new however the plan is to be very involved in its maintenance.

On the other hand the plaster looks beautiful I think, and I didn't have to do any scrubbing as the acid just cleaned it good.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll post test results soon once my kit arrives.

Here is a pic:
    pool1.jpg
    IG-15,000 Gallons, 26'x19' Depth=3-5',Plaster Finish, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward EcoStar 3400 SPV, Hayward CL-200 inline Chlorinator.
    Pool completed on 11/11/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - Acid Question

That is a common plaster startup approach, nothing to worry about. Acid starts are the most common approach. It is very simple to do and gives consistently acceptable results. Adding acid helps keep plaster dust under control and gives you a couple of days before you need to worry about constant acid additions to keep the PH under control.

Acid does not evaporate, that part is just silly. Instead the acid gets neutralized by the plaster as it cures.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks for the response. So it would be safe to swim in it after 3-4 days?
    IG-15,000 Gallons, 26'x19' Depth=3-5',Plaster Finish, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward EcoStar 3400 SPV, Hayward CL-200 inline Chlorinator.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

Acid does not "evaporate".

Easiest way to know if it is safe to swim is to test the water .... you already ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I ordered them but Amazon will take a bit of time to deliver them. The estimated date is Nov 19-21

I did test the PH and it's so low that it doesn't even register in the test.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum simplesolid

+1 with above

You should only need one kit. Did you order the K-2006 or the TF-100 ??

K-2006 - - > http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOL.../dp/B004BGF7TI
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I ordered the Taylor K-2006. Since it's going to take a while to get here I had the water tested at the pool store.

Here are the results:

TC 0
    FC 0
    CC 0
    pH 7.0
    Acid Demand *
    Base Demand 30 (not sure what this is)
    TA 0
    CH 250
    Stabilizer 0
    Total Dissolved Solids 700

Pool Store recommendations are:

Add chlorine
    Add 21 pounds of Alkalinity Increaser
    Add Liquid Chlorine 1.5 Gallons
    Add 6 pounds of Stabilizer

The contractor doesn't want to raise the pH too quickly as he says plaster still curing and getting cleaned with the muriadic acid.

Thanks for any assistance,

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

It's always good to know what the goals or target is. If you add the 6 lbs of stabilizer (CYA) that should bring you up close to 50ppm and in Florida that should be good.
    21 lbs of alkalinity increaser should take you up to around 95.
    The bleach you need to know the strength as 1.5 gallons of 6%, 8%, 12.5% will all get you to a different FC level.
    With a CYA level of 50 you will want to achieve and maintain your FC at 6 and make sure it doesn't dip below 4ppm between additions.

This is where the "Pool Math" calculator comes in soooooooo handy. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

9. Back To Top    #9

I wouldn't recommend swimming unless the PH is within the 7.2-7.8 range. Grats on your new pool, it looks great!!!, and welcome to TFP!!!!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the info guys. Here are some more photos.

This last one was our yard before the pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Very nice pool and that is some crystal clear water.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Help a noob here.

1) Why is there a spigot on the input line to the sand filter?
    2) What is that up right canister next to the the sand filter's return line?

2007 Gunite 15k Pump: Whisperflo Motor: B2983 2spd 2.2/0.28 SFHP Sand Filter: TR100 SWG: Aqua Rite T15 Timer: PF1102T w/ redneck SPDT toggle switch Vacuum: Milliard 19" manual / PoolCleaner 2X auto

13. Back To Top    #13

1) So you can drain some water or take a water sample. Sometimes used to pressure test the system too I think.
    2) Trichlor tablet feeder ... not typically recommended by TFP to use trichlor unless you know you need the CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Since your Waste line just ends a couple feet from the filter it might be that instead of attaching a 1.5 or 2" soft hose to direct water away from the house they just used a garden hose to get the water out to the yard when they needed to drop the water level some. Could also be for taking a sample but I wouldn't angle it up for that. I'm thinking (guessing) because it's up, it's a bleed but but I don't see a need

Yup, chlorinator for adding chlorinating sticks like Jblizzle said. Good for when you go on vacation or some time when you're away and there isn't anyone to add bleach but the trade off is the chlorine gets used up but the CYA included in the sticks or tabs just keeps accumulating.

- - - Updated - - -

AND ... don't worry about "noob" questions, it's what we do best. As far as that spigot it's totally understandable why you don't understand it as so far neither do we
    Attached Images Attached Images