Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump noise. Bearings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump noise. Bearings?

I have a pentair superflo .75 hp. The motor is about a year old.

I've noticed it is making a kind of a continuous.. veroom...veroom...veroom...veroom... sound as it's pumping. It's not high pitched. But seems to have gotten louder in recent months.

Water is pumping fine, it primes fine, and otherwise wouldnt notice anything wrong with it. I've tried cleaning the filter, the basket, etc.

Could bearings be going bad already?

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump noise. Bearings?

mine did the same, it was the bearings in the motor. I called my PB, he called the local pentair repair guy who came and replaced the motor. My pump was loud from day 1....just got louder and louder. When it was replaced it was 5 mo. old.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you make a recording? I believe that pump has a centrifugal switch and that too can have a pulsating sound. You might just try to clean and inspect the governor for interference in the back of the motor and see if that helps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is an upload of the noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJhW55mBa4

5. Back To Top    #5

Yea that sounds like the centrifugal switch. Pretty common sound for those pumps. If you push down on the housing, does it get quieter? Take the end cap off and see if the governor is dirty and/or there is a spring missing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I dont think there is a centrifugal switch. Unless it can somehow be in a different location? I took off the back cap and it's just the end of the shaft and wiring terminals there. I can easily turn the shaft from there with my hand. I don't hear any noise or feel any obvious resistance when Im turning it.

I dont really notice any difference by pushing on the housing.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

That's the exact sound mine was making. If it's ~1 yr old it should be under warranty....let them deal with it.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor