Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump engine whining

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pump engine whining

Hi Guys,
    Thanks to TFP our pool has been blue and sparkly since late August. Truly a pleasure. I tell EVERYBODY with a pool to join this place.

Now that November is here and our pool is under a canopy of trees we have been doing double duty in the skimming and basket cleaning. Well, actually way more than double duty. sometimes the skimmer baskets fill up twice a day. I am off today as it is Veteran's Day (Thank you for your service, Dear Vets) and eventually roused myself to go skim and clean baskets. The engine sounded like it was straining so i checked the pressure and was at 16, usually hang at about 12. I turned it off, cleaned all the baskets, skimmed. When i turned it back on it was still straining and holding at 16. I had read previously on this forum that backwash was only necessary when you are running 10-20% over your baseline, which I was. So i backwashed. Turned the pump back on and it seemed to go to normal for minute then it began seriously whining and the pressure was <5.

In the past whenever the engine sounded punky, doing all of the above would do the trick. Never have I made the problem worse as I have today. I did notice that the water level in the pool itself is lower than normal as we have had glorious sunny weather for many days now. Would a lowered water level be contributing?

Thanks for any wisdom!
    21,000 IG plaster
    Hayward Vari-flo XL sand filter
    Pentair 1HP
    June 2004
    Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump engine whining

No, I don't believe a lower water level could cause it to whine. Likely something wearing in the pump or motor creating the noise.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Would a lowered water level be contributing?
    It could be. Your psi of <5 indicates you are sucking air instead of water. If the pool water level is too low, you will suck air through the skimmer(s).

Pump running, is there visible air in the pump strainer basket?

Turn on the pump and go visually inspect the skimmer(s). If there is a whirlpool, fill the pool until it stops. The skimmer(s) may also be full of leaves allowing air to enter the system.....clean them out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Bearings could be going bad in the pump.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

5. Back To Top    #5

I noticed that the skimmer baskets remained empty despite a truckload of leaves falling. At closer look my water level was a couple of inches under the skimmers. Another lesson for this newbie. So Duraleigh nailed it. Threw the hose on for about four hours and we were back in business.
    21,000 IG plaster
    Pentair 1HP
    June 2004
    Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey neighbor! You need to keep a close eye on your water level and never let it go below the skimmer opening. I try to keep mine at the middle of the opening and top off immediately upon finding it close to the bottom of the opening. My water level is such that proper level is indicated when there's water covering the first step below the pool deck.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey Timerguy,
    Yep, it was a bit of a bonehead move not to realize with so little rain the water needed replacing. We're just so darn proud to be maintaining a crystal clear cement pond we got a little cocky!
    I have a dear friend in Chapin--lovely town!
    21,000 IG plaster
    Pentair 1HP
    June 2004
    Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Soda. Glad you got the water level worked out. I also wanted to check that you were cleaning the pump basket and re-priming as well when you have a healthy leaf load...some always gets through and that will also affect pressure if the pump basket is also clogged.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, we're getting all we need and then some this morning!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter