heat pump questions

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
I recently installed a 12.1 kw pv solar system for my house. For the last week in sunny conditions it is producing about 10 kwh extra per day. Since I get almost nothing for the extra production (I get paid $.04 per extra kwh at the end of the year) I was thinking maybe a heat pump to add a month or so at each end of the season. Right now the pool is up to at least 80 from mid April to mid October. I know they work better with warmer air temps but if the average in march and November is 60 deg would it be able to raise the temp and keep it in the 80's?

I recently installed a 12.1 kw pv solar system for my house. For the last week in sunny conditions it is producing about 10 kwh extra per day. Since I get almost nothing for the extra production (I get paid $.04 per extra kwh at the end of the year) I was thinking maybe a heat pump to add a month or so at each end of the season. Right now the pool is up to at least 80 from mid April to mid October. I know they work better with warmer air temps but if the average in march and November is 60 deg would it be able to raise the temp and keep it in the 80's?

Here is a heat pump calculator from Raypak that is pretty darn comprehensive. It should be able to give you the answer you're looking for: http://roxwebdev01.pixelgate.net/gas_sizing/Raypak.php?appid=1

Raypak is hard to beat for anything heating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.