Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: heat pump questions

1. Back To Top    #1

heat pump questions

I recently installed a 12.1 kw pv solar system for my house. For the last week in sunny conditions it is producing about 10 kwh extra per day. Since I get almost nothing for the extra production (I get paid $.04 per extra kwh at the end of the year) I was thinking maybe a heat pump to add a month or so at each end of the season. Right now the pool is up to at least 80 from mid April to mid October. I know they work better with warmer air temps but if the average in march and November is 60 deg would it be able to raise the temp and keep it in the 80's?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: heat pump questions

Probably not. With a solar cover, and full sunlight all day every day it might come close, but with cloudy days here and there it almost certainly wouldn't be able to keep up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017 View Post
    I recently installed a 12.1 kw pv solar system for my house. For the last week in sunny conditions it is producing about 10 kwh extra per day. Since I get almost nothing for the extra production (I get paid $.04 per extra kwh at the end of the year) I was thinking maybe a heat pump to add a month or so at each end of the season. Right now the pool is up to at least 80 from mid April to mid October. I know they work better with warmer air temps but if the average in march and November is 60 deg would it be able to raise the temp and keep it in the 80's?
    Here is a heat pump calculator from Raypak that is pretty darn comprehensive. It should be able to give you the answer you're looking for: http://roxwebdev01.pixelgate.net/gas...ak.php?appid=1

Raypak is hard to beat for anything heating.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think a properly sized HP would for sure...mine can do similar numbers in those temps for sure. Of course I have a solar cover that helps keep the heat in at night....the calculator advice was solid though.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies, I'll look at the Raypak info and see what they think.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.