Do people close pools in Texas (Austin specifically)?

Oct 15, 2014
Austin,TX
Do folks in Austin and surrounding areas actually close their pools? If not, I've read that I'm supposed to keep the pump running when temps get close to freezing.

Anything else I should know? Do we need to continue balancing pH and chlorine all winter long or is there some point at which we can stop running the pump daily and maybe just adjust chemistry at less frequent intervals? Do we still add PolyQuat at some point?

I saw the other day that a neighbor had let his pool go green. Is that ever a reasonable approach to the off season?

Thanks!
Brian

I would think green isn't a great approach. It's going to cost him way more come spring to clean that up versus a little dosing every now and then during shut winter shutdown. I would check my Ph once a month and adjust if necessary. Polyquat will work, but bleach would be cheaper. Your temps will drop and so will the resulting chlorine demand, reducing how often you have to add bleach.

Your climate is similar to here in NC and you have options. You can certainly close but it is probably easier and more aesthetic to simply maintain your pool as you have during swim season.

You will do noticeably less of most things......less filtering, less chlorine, less vacuuming, etc. Simply keep your chemistry at the same balances as swim season but it will require less of most things to do so. Your pool will be a little different than all others so an exact set of instructions is impossible.

I would simply monitor my parameters carefully and make common sense additions of chemistry, common sense pump runs times, etc. Let your increased knowledge of pool chemistry and the advice you get from this forum help you through the season........I think you will be happy to have left it open.

Im in TX too. Lots of us here in TX dont close our pools. Like Duraleigh said, just monitor the levels now and then. With the water so cold, chlorine lasts a long time. Keeping the leaves out is the biggest pain.

If the temps are supposed to get below freeezing, run the pump. That will prevent any broken pipes, pumps, and filters.

hope this helps,

Do folks in Austin and surrounding areas actually close their pools? If not, I've read that I'm supposed to keep the pump running when temps get close to freezing.

Anything else I should know? Do we need to continue balancing pH and chlorine all winter long or is there some point at which we can stop running the pump daily and maybe just adjust chemistry at less frequent intervals? Do we still add PolyQuat at some point?

I saw the other day that a neighbor had let his pool go green. Is that ever a reasonable approach to the off season?

Thanks!
Brian

I'm in DFW and have never closed. Continue keeping an eye on your chlorine and other chems as needed. As others have said, it will need much less attention than during the summer - just don't ignore it and let it go green. One other suggestion...on the next nice day, locate all the drain plugs on your equipment and give them a quick twist. This will come in handy if the power were to go out for an extended period during below freezing weather and will allow you to drain the exposed plumbing/filter/pump/heater to prevent freeze damage. If there are any problems removing these plugs, you will have time to get them repaired before the next freeze.

I just posted the following on another thread but I think it applies here so I will do just a copy and paste.

I am not a big fan of using freeze protection because it gives you a false sense of security and based upon many posts on this site, tends to fail in one way or another especially when the power fails. In addition, it turns on far too soon and wastes energy. It is easy to use but not fool proof.

We haven't reached freezing temps yet but we usually get down to low 20s and usually not for more than about 8 hours. I haven't used freeze protection now for about 8 winters without incident. I know Texas has a bit more extreme temperatures but if temps should get below 25F or below freezing for more than 8 hours, there are alternatives to freeze protection:

1) Cover the equipment pad with a tarp and put a 60 watt light bulb underneath the tarp. This is more than enough to prevent anything under the tarp from freezing (unless you are way up north). But this is still susceptible to power outages.

2) For really cold weather, drain the equipment pad. This is a fool proof method and is not affected by power outages. But it is a bit of a hassle so I would reserve that for very severe weather.

Just a different perspective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.