Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member - New Pool Build in DFW Area

1. Back To Top    #1

New Member - New Pool Build in DFW Area

Hello all. I recently discovered this site (I really enjoy reading everyone's build threads), and I figured I'd post some pictures of our recently completed pool.

A couple of quick observations before I get started:
    -You all make me feel REALLY poor with such impressive pool builds. One guy practically built a luxury resort in his back yard. Due to limited space and a tight budget, I imagine our build is one of the smallest/cheapest on here.

-After reading all of these build threads, I feel extremely lucky that my build was mostly trouble-free and took only 31 days. It seems like some of you have been stuck in this process for months with no end in sight.

Anyhow, onto our modest project. As I mentioned, we had a tight budget so we ended up axing some features that we originally had on our wishlist (upgraded plaster, additional water features, stamped concrete, etc). The only upgrades we ended up doing were the raised spa and the variable speed pump. All other finishes were part of their standard package, but we're very happy with the final product.

I wasn't around during most of the construction (pesky job getting in the way), which was kind of frustrating but also a blessing in some ways. It meant that I didn't have to obsess over every minute detail, and when I got home from work there was always something new for me to take a look at. As I said, the build only took 31 days and there were workers on site nearly every day. I have no complaints at all about my PB, which appears to be pretty rare around here.

I will try to add more pictures later, but here are a few:
    Day 1: Excavation. They did the dig, rebar, and plumbing all in one day

Gunite:

Tile and coping. This was completed in three days. I love the color variation in the flagstone, and I'm happy with the spillover we picked.

Deck frame. We decided to do an overlay of our existing patio so that we didn't have to take down the pergola. I build the pergola myself about 8 years ago.

Poured Deck. We chose "rough texture" and a tan color that goes pretty well with the flagstone.

Filled with water!

Picture my wife sent me while I was at work (to make me jealous) on the first day we could swim in it:

We're supposed to have pool school later this week, and we should be able to use the heater for the first time as well. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, as pool ownership is totally new to me. I bought the Taylor test kit (and have no idea how to use it). I could also use some landscaping recommendations. There is a 3' x 25' strip behind the pool, and a 2' x 15' strip to the right side of the pool.
    Dallas area | 12' x 29' 10K gallon IG gunite/plaster with 12" raised spa | DE filter, Variable Speed pump, 400K BTU heater, pool cleaner with booster pump, all Pentair equipment | Taylor K-2006 test kit | Excavation 9/16/2014; Pool filled on 10/17/2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Member - New Pool Build in DFW Area

Here are a few more pictures. I think most of the in-progress pictures were taken with my wife's phone, which she recently destroyed. Hopefully she managed to get the data off of it.

Here's our yard before the pool. We were sad to see the tree go, but I think it may have been dying anyway.

The first scoop. It was nice having the giant sliding gate so that we didn't have to take down our fence for this project.

Dallas area | 12' x 29' 10K gallon IG gunite/plaster with 12" raised spa | DE filter, Variable Speed pump, 400K BTU heater, pool cleaner with booster pump, all Pentair equipment | Taylor K-2006 test kit | Excavation 9/16/2014; Pool filled on 10/17/2014

3. Back To Top    #3

Red face Re: New Member - New Pool Build in DFW Area

Quote Originally Posted by BeerGuy View Post
    Hello all. I recently discovered this site (I really enjoy reading everyone's build threads), and I figured I'd post some pictures of our recently completed pool.

A couple of quick observations before I get started:
    -You all make me feel REALLY poor with such impressive pool builds. One guy practically built a luxury resort in his back yard. Due to limited space and a tight budget, I imagine our build is one of the smallest/cheapest on here.

-After reading all of these build threads, I feel extremely lucky that my build was mostly trouble-free and took only 31 days. It seems like some of you have been stuck in this process for months with no end in sight.

Anyhow, onto our modest project. As I mentioned, we had a tight budget so we ended up axing some features that we originally had on our wishlist (upgraded plaster, additional water features, stamped concrete, etc). The only upgrades we ended up doing were the raised spa and the variable speed pump. All other finishes were part of their standard package, but we're very happy with the final product.

I wasn't around during most of the construction (pesky job getting in the way), which was kind of frustrating but also a blessing in some ways. It meant that I didn't have to obsess over every minute detail, and when I got home from work there was always something new for me to take a look at. As I said, the build only took 31 days and there were workers on site nearly every day. I have no complaints at all about my PB, which appears to be pretty rare around here.

I will try to add more pictures later, but here are a few:
    Day 1: Excavation. They did the dig, rebar, and plumbing all in one day

Gunite:

Tile and coping. This was completed in three days. I love the color variation in the flagstone, and I'm happy with the spillover we picked.

Deck frame. We decided to do an overlay of our existing patio so that we didn't have to take down the pergola. I build the pergola myself about 8 years ago.

Poured Deck. We chose "rough texture" and a tan color that goes pretty well with the flagstone.

Filled with water!

Picture my wife sent me while I was at work (to make me jealous) on the first day we could swim in it:

We're supposed to have pool school later this week, and we should be able to use the heater for the first time as well. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, as pool ownership is totally new to me. I bought the Taylor test kit (and have no idea how to use it). I could also use some landscaping recommendations. There is a 3' x 25' strip behind the pool, and a 2' x 15' strip to the right side of the pool.
    Looks great! And just wait until the cold snap hits us tomorrow, you'll fall in love with your hot-tub very shortly! Congrats, it's beautiful!
    7500 gallon/ 64 perimter ft/ 24x12 "spool" (small pool) :) /18" raised spa with 6 jets/ Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen/ OK flagstone coping/470 sq ft seeded decking
    DE filter-60/2hp2sp pump/Polaris 280 cleaner/2 hp booster pump/Clorinator-in line feeder/Hayward 400k BTU heater/2 skimmers-5returns/Aqualink PS8 wireless controls

4. Back To Top    #4

Well done!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Very impressive....love the look...BTW, that orange toe nail polish clashes with your amazing pool , get her some nice blue on your way home

Your fence is quite stunning, I love seeing how people finish them differently. Gives me ideas for my plain ole white lattice top.

6. Back To Top    #6

That is really nice. I particularly like the water feature (spillway) from the spa. I am a new pool owner as well and despite how nice my pool is and how proud I am of it, I'm amazed at how much pool envy I get with each new build I see. Hmmmmmm...must be that grass always being greener thing or in this case; the pool being bluer.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

7. Back To Top    #7

31 days!!!!! Wow, you are so fortunate to have found such a well organized builder! It looks fantastic. I really like the look of your deck too.
    Eva.
    We are building a 14x28 in ground with a spillover spa...
    All Pentair Equipment, 3HP VS pump, Sand Filter, 250K BTU gas heater, 2HP blower.
    Easytouch 4. Pentair Racer Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks great, and welcome to TFP. I bet people thought you were nuts squeezing a pool in there, but I think it's cool that you did.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Very Nice! Love it!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks great.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

11. Back To Top    #11

I think it looks perfect in your backyard - from any view. -Karen
    New in 2017, will update

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    Looks great, and welcome to TFP. I bet people thought you were nuts squeezing a pool in there, but I think it's cool that you did.
    I did get a few strange looks from the PBs when I first showed them my yard. It's definitely a small pool, but once you get in it it's really not bad at all. Perfectly fine for our family of four. We aren't super popular, so it's not like we'll be having giant pool parties. Had we decided to take down the pergola and rebuild it/build a new one, we could have made the pool a couple of feet wider. We just didn't want the extra cost or effort if I rebuilt it myself. Ultimately, I'm glad our patio is fairly large so I think we made the right choice.

It was 80 degrees yesterday, and I woke up to 40 degrees this morning. Gotta love that North Texas weather! Can't wait until we can fire up the heater!

Here are a few more pics...

Gunite in progress:

Equipment pad. The filter seems enormous for my tiny pool, but I guess bigger is better.

They set up soaker hoses around the pool on a timer so that I didn't have to manually water the gunite. They also did all the brushing after plaster, so I was very pleased with this company.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd put some heat tolerant, lower growing native plants in that strip. Salvia Greggi, Lantana,Rosemary. None of them shed much either. You could accent with annuals tucked in here and there.
    Ft Worth, Tx. Old(no idea what year) fiberglass BG pool. 10x25. 2.5-5 ft deep. Sand Filter(Zeolite). 1hp pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

Great job and wow, it certainly seems like it was a professional PB. Even got you set up on the soaker hoses!

And that fence is incredible. I'll definitely keep that in mind when it comes time to replace our fence!
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesuze View Post
    I'd put some heat tolerant, lower growing native plants in that strip. Salvia Greggi, Lantana,Rosemary. None of them shed much either. You could accent with annuals tucked in here and there.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Our experience with rosemary is that it grows very quickly and takes over the whole space, so we may avoid that one. I like the looks of the salvia greggi and lantana, so I'll definitely need to check those out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twolabs View Post
    Great job and wow, it certainly seems like it was a professional PB. Even got you set up on the soaker hoses!

And that fence is incredible. I'll definitely keep that in mind when it comes time to replace our fence!
    Thanks. I've been following your build, and I'm jealous. You have enough space to do whatever you want back there.

16. Back To Top    #16

We have pool school scheduled for Saturday. Barring any unforeseen issues, we should be enjoying frosty beverages in our heated spa this weekend!

17. Back To Top    #17

Very nice!

Your pic shows a lot of water spilling from the spa into the pool. Did you have to add extra pumping power to get that great effect, or does the normal filter loop naturally provide that much flow?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    Very nice!

Your pic shows a lot of water spilling from the spa into the pool. Did you have to add extra pumping power to get that great effect, or does the normal filter loop naturally provide that much flow?
    It is part of the normal circulation process. It is currently configured to pull water from the main drains on the bottom of the pool, and the return comes to both the pool and the single return in the bottom of the spa (which causes the spillover). With this configuration, I discovered that the pump needs to be running at about 2000 RPM to get much of a spillover effect. Anything lower than that, and it's a bit of a trickle. I'm sure there are a ton of different valve configurations that would yield varying results, so that's on my list of questions for pool school. This is all very new to me.

19. Back To Top    #19

We are thinking about heating up the whole pool to use tomorrow (I'm the only one crazy/stupid enough to use it up to this point with the chilly water). Can any of you experienced folks give me a ballpark estimate for how long it will take to heat a 10K gallon pool (probably a bit less than 10K) with a 400K BTU heater? Any rough estimate of cost? I'm hoping not to get a $500 gas bill next month.

20. Back To Top    #20

Howdy neighbor

I bet you my pool was cheaper Looks great!!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast