New pool owner wondering about pump speeds

Hi guys (and thanks for reading)

I'm a new pool owner wondering what RPM I should run my pump. I have a Hayward Tristar 1.8HP VSP that can run between 1000-3400 RPM, but this thing is pretty loud at the high speeds and I don't know if it is necessary or cost effective. It is currently set up to run at 3100~ RPM for 4 hours then about 1700~ RPM for another 4 hours from midnight to 8am.

Does this seem about right or is it overkill? Also when heating the spa does it really need to be at maximum speed, too?

Some more information:
The pool is roughly 11,000 gal, spa is around 1000 gal. 400k BTU heater, pipes look about 2.5 inch outside diam. 400sqft cart filter. Not sure what the TDH would be for the whole system honestly. Oh and this is in Phoenix, AZ.

Appreciate any thoughts / advice! And let me know if I need more info

Welcome to TFP!

You want to run at the lowest speed that still works reliably. The speed you choose should be high enough so that the skimmers still work and your pool heater is happy. The only time you want to run on a higher speed is if you have a pool cleaner powered by the main pump or are manually vacuuming. The only way to find out what the ideal speed is, is to experiment. Most likely your setup will be limited by the heater, as that is very likely to need a higher speed than the skimmers. Turn on the heater and then vary the speed until the heater shuts down. Then use a speed a bit faster than the speed at which the heater shut down.

Welcome to TFP!

You want to run at the lowest speed that still works reliably. The speed you choose should be high enough so that the skimmers still work and your pool heater is happy. The only time you want to run on a higher speed is if you have a pool cleaner powered by the main pump or are manually vacuuming. The only way to find out what the ideal speed is, is to experiment. Most likely your setup will be limited by the heater, as that is very likely to need a higher speed than the skimmers. Turn on the heater and then vary the speed until the heater shuts down. Then use a speed a bit faster than the speed at which the heater shut down.

Thanks! I will play around with it and see what works best

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.