Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: any maximum chlorine level for closing above ground vinyl pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

any maximum chlorine level for closing above ground vinyl pool?

Is there any maximum chlorine level that should not be exceeded when closing my above ground vinyl pool?

I'm getting chlorine measurements with my kit of over 30 ppm. Could be that my chemicals' accuracy has expired (they are 2 years old) but I don't want to buy a new set of chemicals this late in the season. I have a new dark blue liner & I don't want it to fade over the winter from too much chlorine. As my signature indicates, I have a 12 foot circumference, above-ground vinyl pool. Right now, water temp is 50 degrees F.

Thanks.
    12 ft round above ground vinyl pool, 52 in depth (approximately 3600 gallons), non swg, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 16-inch, 110-120V with GFCI, pool installed August, 2006 on sand, new liner installed June, 2014, fill with hose water (refilled in august, 2017), use tf-50 test kit, except use hth phenal red ph test.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: any maximum chlorine level for closing above ground vinyl pool?

Do you know what your CYA level is?

3. Back To Top    #3

Hadn't tested that since I was going to put the cover on the pool & figured cya wouldn't matter much if the cover was on pool. I'll measure cya tomorrow (too dark now) and post it again. Thanks!
    12 ft round above ground vinyl pool, 52 in depth (approximately 3600 gallons), non swg, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 16-inch, 110-120V with GFCI, pool installed August, 2006 on sand, new liner installed June, 2014, fill with hose water (refilled in august, 2017), use tf-50 test kit, except use hth phenal red ph test.

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as your not way above the shock level for your CYA level you should be fine.
    Do you remember what it was the last time you checked ? 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There is always a maximum suggested chlorine level whether you are closing or not. That level can be found in the FC/CYA chart and is dependent on your CYA.

Essentially, your question cannot be answered until you test for the CYA level.

During the swim season, what guide did you use to maintain your chlorine?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the responses and, sorry, for the delay in responding. Forgot I had to be away from the pool for Vets Day commemorations.

Anyway, I measured cya today and it is between 60 & 70 so I'm figuring shock level chlorine is about 26. I stopped measuring fc at around 34 because I was afraid I'd run out of chlorine test chemicals. I kept my pool around 5 fc during most of the summer. Should I wait till the chlorine level (which appears to be above 34) drops to put winter cover on? Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Your basically at mustard shock level, so if your more comfortable with it drifting down let it uncovered. It'll take a little longer than normal with the cold water temps. I'd say it's your call to let it drift down or not.
    If 60-70 was your CYA level all season keeping your FC at 5 is the min for those CYA levels. You would want to target 9 and 10 respectively for those CYA levels. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, Jeff. I may let it drift down a bit more. At this point, I mainly want to be sure the liner won't fade if I cover the pool with a fc above 34. The liner looks fine now and, based on what you've written, it seems like there would be no problem closing the pool at such a level.