My first ever Pool Story Begins - Intex 32 Feet AGP

Punniya

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2014
India
I am so excited to post this thread here because it could stay as a memorable experience about my first ever swimming pool. The excitement of building your own pool on your own is made far more better when it is shared here.

After spending couple of hours a day for almost two weeks I have decided to buy Intex Ultra Frame Pool (32' x 16' x 52"), Since I live in India and no one ships to India, I have decided to buy it through Ebay.com and send it to my brother-in-law who lives in New Jersey. I placed the order on 1st November, I am expecting that to be delivered by tomorrow, once I receive the shipment I will start the shipping and importing process immediately.

My Friend who is running a shipping agency has promised me to deliver the shipment at my doorstep here in India. He is the one who gave me the confidence to go ahead and buy it in the first place. And I am so excited ever since I ordered the product and I could not control sharing it here.

My plan about the swimming pool includes the below:

01. Building a small deck for about 18' x 4' Feet.
02. Boxing the pool to give some kind of protection from docs and cats damaging the vinyl sheet.
03. To keep a 32 x 6 feet vinyl hording with some refreshing art work on the one side of the pool to add some privacy and creativity.
04. Buying some water games related tools and toys to make the pool more entertaining.
05. Adding a stainless steel ladder instead of intex ladder that comes with the box. And may be more....

Sounds intriguing. I guess while you are waiting for the shipping handoffs, you can start leveling the ground and prepping. Put the required work into leveling the ground and everything else will be easy. I look forward to sharing this build with you.

Thank you JasonLion, I will keep updating as it progresses, Right now I got the message that Pool that the pool is delivered today at New jersey my brother-in-law's place. I have already initiated the shipping process, a company in USA with Import Export Code will take over the product and send it to India, I have also worked out the shipping and duty charges. The pool cost was $1290 on eBay offered free shipping plus state tax + $90 and $550 for door to door delivery Shipping cost and thirty percent Duty $414, total pool cost at my doorstep will be $2344.

Hi f3justusc, you are right I have started the work from yesterday however i was working on the plans for a while, I believe thinking is the best way of investing your lovely time, my thinking looks more beautiful than the pool itself to me... hope my excitement stays even after I finish installing my pool.

So far I have done the following:

01. Buying the product at the best price $1290 32' Intex (hope you agree), getting assistance with shipping and importing, working the costing involved to set up the pool completely.
02. Thought for few time about the location of the pool, Cutting the trees (sadly), leveling techniques, and man power involved.
03. Enclosure and deck creation to protect the vinyl lining from dogs, cats and rats (may be), enclosure is definitely not a cosmetic idea, I love the pool as it is a lot more better naked.. deciding the type of enclosure and material used and finalizing frame work design.
04. Planning and estimating the mason work involved.
05. Had discussion with the respective skilled people to ensure I am in the right direction with my plans.

Day One:

myhouse.jpg
May be this is not much relevant photo any way this is the how where I will install the pool, Complete design, interior and construction managed by me.
myhouse-nightmode.jpg
Thought Night vision is more attractive.
01.jpg
Day one first job is to shift this rain water harvesting hole to a different place as this place is needed to accommodate the pool.

I will post more pictures soon as my membership gets activated, I paid already not sure when it will be active.

I have posted more photos of day one work under this url:

IMG_1318_zpsfff6e943.jpg.html

Oops! that did not work, someone please let me know how to upload pictures here or use the Photobucket.com urls.

Looks like you are well on your way. Thanks for the pics, the house looks great. I have only posted a few pics so I will wait for someone with experience to give you the details.

Hi f3justusc thanks for the complement. The day one work shifting the rainwater harvesting hole is completed I will post the pics here and for day two I have started clearing the trees (sadly) and cleaning the ground also finished.

On the shipping part though i started the work week earlier and the papers are ready and delivered to the customs my shipment still waits for wooden casing approval. I added that for extra protection, I heard handling good at chennai harbor is not so great. I also have insure my product.

For the enclosure around the pool initially i planned for poly carbide sheet attached to GI square pipe frame which can be inserted and removed kind of but now I am considering the wood option though it is expensive.

Plumbers are laying pipe to shift the rain water hole to different place

02.jpg

My backyard from the backside of my house

03.jpg

The place where I am going to install my pool

04.jpg

My bore well which will provide water for my pool for free, but not charge me with a hefty bill

05.jpg

A closer look at the bore well

06.jpg

I will update the day 2 Work progress soon.

Day two and three work progress pics

I had to cut down some trees to accommodate the pool.

01.jpg

Cleaning up the ground completed

02.jpg

I thought having part of 55 ton weight on a cement slab is not advisable so I filled it.

03.jpg

On the left my cousin who helps me a lot in this project and in the right my engineer who helps to build the enclosure and deck.

04.jpg

This is the technique we used to level the hard soil. We have set the thread (2) for the tube water level and measured the same height downwards everywhere below the thread to fix the level marker stone (1).

08.jpg

ground leveling work is in progress

07.jpg

Ground is almost leveled minor issues will be taken care when the mason work will be done.

09.jpg

I have given that extra 3" inch depth and 18" inch width for the concrete fill so that it does not crumble under the weight.

10.jpg

Enclosure and deck design layout

IMG_20141111_224018.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We could all use an engineer on our projects :) You are making great progress. Are you planning to use the equipment that comes with the Intex or have you already purchased upgrades?

We could all use an engineer on our projects :) You are making great progress. Are you planning to use the equipment that comes with the Intex or have you already purchased upgrades?

I am not planning for any upgrades, the reasons are I am no expert and not looking for perfection and posses little knowledge to know what I actually want at this moment, so I will try to set it up and see how it goes. Another issue is I am not much aware of local markets the demand here for these products is comparatively less so the costs are high compared to USA, and importing is little complicated that would kill the desire to better the equipment.

I would like to summarize the experience so for, hope it i will be useful to others

01. Researched a few sites like eBay, Walmart, Amazon and Chinese websites (yet to earn my trust) for the best price, I hope I got the best price $ 1290 (32' x 16' x 52'') Intex corp price itself is $2359. Doubt some difference in quality or just the dealer's price cut ?? Any thoughts?

02. I also checked with Indian websites some are not trustworthy and some charge as high as $3300. I see opportunity for import company in India to sell above ground pools.

03. I think importing option most will not opt for as it involves paper work, dealing with authorities and door to door delivery could cost heavy. If you take a agency help you can still do it like me. Any Ideas to share for importers??

04. My shipment still waiting for wooden case approval by customs I expect to get the approval by Thursday then it is free to go. Worried about damage that is why I went for wooden casing. Is insurance wise idea for this type of product?

05. I would have liked to pay a little more rather than troubling my brother-in-law in coordinating the shipment en routing.

06. I already waited for three weeks 15 days for local delivery and a week for shipment pick up and approval at-least another month to reach India as shipment comes by the sea. Any idea to cut the time? Air freight charges are costly.

Today it rained heavily so no progress today. Setting a pool in the rainy season I guess I am really excited.

The rain has revealed some what the ground is acceptably leveled.

IMG_20141112_101037.jpg

If you fill any hole make sure the soil settles tightly otherwise this is what will happen below your pool bed.

IMG_20141112_101103.jpg

Hi Kim, Really it is a lot of fun the ideas are keep changing and getting better. Today I have ordered for the wood for the deck and pool enclosure, previously I was thinking of using poly carbide sheets, which is cheaper and will lost longer, maintenance free and light weight but I could not compromise on the aesthetic part so ordered wood which is two times costlier.

@ Ken, My neighbors don't have pool, in metro cities pools are familiar (mostly in ground pools) but not common, people consider pool as a luxury not a lifestyle. And the season goes on for ever in my city Chennai, hardly one month of monsoon no freezing cold. Sun wishes good luck everyday. How do you like it??

I live near Boston Mass. Our pool season is less than 3 months. Still many people have pools. The Intex pools are so cheap that anyone can afford one. I just bought a new 20'-52" pool for $209.00 on clearance at Target. I can't wait for next June. My kids love the pool. Me not so much as the water never really gets warm.

Mainly we have space constrains most people live in apartments with out backyard. Swimming pool is not part of our lifestyle or culture, people might feel shy in their own backyard. Availability of such products (AGP) and its popularity is less. Sounds like you have everything but sun :) and $209 for 20 x 52 frame pool is an excellent deal I guess.

I have few questions here:

01. Why I should not use Iodized salt for that pool, because that is the salt I easily get here.

02. If I use hard plumbing touching the ground, will that cause any damage on vinyl as the moment inside the pool will make the hard pipe plumbing sitting on the ground to push back the vinyl. If I keep the plumbing little above the ground it will be shaking all the time I guess, what should I do?

03. Adding pool lights was part of my initial idea now I think I should reconsider since there is a risk of electrocuting the water in case of electrical failure. To me not worth the risk as I will hardly use the pool at night even if I use I can arrange some light away from the pool.

04. Anything else I must pay attention to?

I have got the wood ready for the deck, I have ordered 65 CFT of wood for the deck and enclosure, which is being delivered today. I am planning to complete the deck first and then I will install the pool. Today there is no rain I will start the ground work again tomorrow. I have also ordered the steel for the frame work which is coming tomorrow.

Some help on my plumbing question will be greatly appreciated. Though I have seen few videos on hard plumbing touching the ground standing against the vinyl liner to attach the skimmer like a slanting pillar, I have my doubts. :)

I have made some progress these days.

I have dug holes for the deck pillars

dug-holes-for-pillars.jpg

Blue metal for concrete slab has arrived

blue-metal-for-concrete-slab.jpg

60 CFT of wood arrived for the deck and enclosure

wood-for-deck-enclosure.jpg

Poly carbide sheet and iron net has arrived

polycarbide-sheet-and-iron-.jpg

Form arrived to enhance the experience of the pool bed.

form-for-pool-bed.jpg

Most material arrived but my pool is still sitting at my cousin's house in New jersey, due to some shipping formalities .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.