Loss of Suction

mgj167

Oct 24, 2014
Leesville, SC
While I was away on a week's business trip, our pool started having an issue. A couple of days before my return, my wife reported that the pool waterfall fountain (similar to : http://store.pinchapenny.com/product/porpoise-waterfall-pool-fountain) was no longer spraying. Since we purchased the house a couple of months back. I had noticed the pressure seemed to vary some, but it had never stopped.

Anyway I thought I would try to see what the issue is. After doing some internet searches, I opened the pump's filter basket area, and the basket was full of leaves and crud, and the basket itself was cracked and split. So I cleaned the basket out. (I also ordered a replacement basket and replacement cover gasket but they won't arrive for a couple of days). I put the basket back, filled the basket area with water and re-closed it. I also took the time to replace the filter's pressure gauge as the old one was broken -- I had ordered a replacement and it was here waiting for me.

The issue is that it does not seem to be maintaining suction on the line from pool into the pump. After 1-2 minutes I'll see water start rushing into the filter basket, (the gauge will go to 10-15 psi), and then drop, like a air leak in the line. It would do this repeatedly every few minutes, and I finally just switched off the power. I've tried re-seating the rubber sealing gasket on the basket area -- that makes no difference. I cannot see any cuts, trash, that would be stopping a seal. And when I open to check and reseal, there does appear to be some vacuum as I take off the basket cover. And during this course I'm getting a lot of air out of the return line from the filter back to the pool.

Other than waiting for the new gasket seal to arrive and trying that, is there anything else I can should check? Or am I missing some step? I don't see an air release on the Hayward filter like some videos show to release the air from the filter...

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Inground or abovr ground pool?

Your description sounds like an air leak on the suction side. You're doing a good job on the troubleshooting so far. Look for leaks at any gaskets, seals, and joints (shaving cream can help diagnose). Another slim possibility is that the there's not enough flow to the pump. How many return lines go from the pool to the pump? Are there isolation valves in your setup?

I just want to follow-up and say thank you to everyone for the suggestions, questions, etc. I spent some time yesterday going over the system and cleaning out at various points. To net it out I have suction restored, and it seems to be better than before. The best I can tell the issue was caused by debris (mostly leaves) at various points in the system. I have not found any gaps around fittings, etc. so far. And I still have some parts to replace once they arrive -- pump filter basket, basket cover gasket, etc. We do have a live oak near the pool and based on wind and fall season it contributes mightily to the pool debris. Need to look at some options to address that but prefer not to cut the tree.

Thanks!
Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.