Pool closing confusion

Osa

Nov 8, 2014
Oxford/PA
I have read the many posts about pool closing and have not seen this particular issue addressed - unless I've missed something. I have a skimmer box with two ports. One goes to the pump, the other goes to the bottom drain but is not connected in any way to the pump system. When I blew air into it with my shop vac a fine mist of silt floated out but no bubbles came up. When I used a shop vac to suction the water out it seemed that the water was coming up from the bottom drain as the line never emptied. - Could there be a flap in the line to prevent backflow? I've read elsewhere on here that a shop vac is not powerful enough to blow a bottom drain. If that is true should I use a compressor instead? Thanks for any advice you can give. I have got to get this pool done!

Osa
IG
Vinyl
CL

Pooladdict, Thanks for the reply. When you say foam rope are you referring to the stuff used to fill airgaps that is about 1" in diameter? Should I just leave that port capped all year?

Thanks in Advance,

Osa

Yes, the same stuff, the idea is, if the water freezes it can expand inward towards the foam rope and not the outside to crack the fitting.

A lot of pools are closed this way and left closed all year, the only difference is, you have zero flow through your main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.