Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freeze Protection - Water Features?

1. Back To Top    #1

Freeze Protection - Water Features?

Normally I keep my water features (spray jets, bubblers, waterfall, slide) turned off when the pool is not being used. Now that I think about it, do I need to make sure water is moving through all those pipes if there are anticipated freezing temperatures?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Freeze Protection - Water Features?

Depends on how deep a freeze you experience and whether those jets/waterfalls self drain or not. If they don't and you experience deep freezes, I would certainly remove any water for fear of cracks from icing.

3. Back To Top    #3

Temps are going to drop to freezing overnight in the upcoming week but only for a few hours at a time. Obviously I need to be worried less than most people as I am in the Dallas area. What would be considered a "deep freeze"?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I consider deep freezing to be anytime ice forms over 3" deep. IMO that's when damage can occur.

5. Back To Top    #5

I had the same thoughts and decided to blow my lines out and add antifreeze, the weather forecast is for another colder winter for our area.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

6. Back To Top    #6

Temps would have to be below freezing for an extended amount of time. I would imagine at least 24 hours or more. I would not worry.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

I am wondering if just having the valves open is good enough despite not having enough flow to actually push anything through. In other words, if some water in one of the water feature pipes did in fact decide to freeze up, as long as the valve is open, would I need to worry about it as long as the pump is running?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Its solid freezing that is the issue zethacat. I doubt you get that, but whats the harm in knowing you are safe.Water is ok as long as it has a direction to grow. Like an open bottle in your freezer, leave top off, no issues, put top on...RUH ROH Hey, wooden boats get left in water here that freezes to 3 feet. They just run a lil fan in the water to keep it circulating to lessen the solid freeze and damaging the boats. (aerates the ice) I guess

9. Back To Top    #9

It happens here, believe it or not. Not for very long periods, maybe one or two days at a time, but it happens. Dallas has some weird a** weather. One day it will be 40, next day 85.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The 85 would be nice every now an then in our winter. If it wasn't for skiing and sledding I would go nuts.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The other thing to think of is if the pipes and features are buried. If so it takes a number of days below freezing for the ground to lose it's heat and freeze. If you have pipes exposed that's something to worry about.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

A portion of the plumbing must be above ground, inevitably, and I generally leave the water features section closed off. So some of that is above ground. I am still unsure if there is a risk or if I should open all valves just in case. I would just hate for my PH to rise any quicker than it does now. As it stands I'm handling too much acid on a weekly basis.

13. Back To Top    #13

Which piping are you talking about that is above ground?

If the piping is above ground near the equipment pad, an alternative is to tarp the equipment and plumbing and use a light bulb to provide just enough heat to prevent freezing.

If the piping you are talking about is inside the waterfall, you should be able to drain that part (with pump off) before closing off the valve.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

If the above ground piping is allowed to drain and gravity and natural siphoning will take most of the water back to the pool the remaining water in the pipe shouldn't be enough to cause a problem even if you did go below freezing for a few days. The problem is if the above ground pipes are badly leveled and slant so much that somewhere above ground the pipe is full of water that can be a problem if it freezes solid. Then it should be blown out to be safe. If the runs are pretty level then you'd be good just allowing then to self drain by opening up the valves and maybe the pump basket too.

The pipes underground you shouldn't have any problem with as the natural heat in the ground protects them from the short lived freezing temps in your area. The ground would never get cold enough (from what you say) to freeze down to the water in the pipes. As long as they are surrounded by dirt and not just in a pit with a cover.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Sometimes it's hard to believe I live in Texas.