Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grout repair/replacement help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Grout repair/replacement help?

Our pool is 8 years old, and we have some areas of grout in the spa dam wall (around the tiles) that is worn and flaking out. How do we fix this? Can you simply do an acid wash and then replace the damaged grout? Or, do you have to first remove all of the old grout, then replace with new grout? Will new grout adhere to the existing grout? For how long?

It is not real bad, but needs attention before winter. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    30,000 gal in-ground, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue, DE filter, Pentair WFE-30 filter pump, Saltwater Generated Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Grout repair/replacement help?

I believe its like a bathroom, all the old grout should be removed before putting an new in.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict View Post
    I believe its like a bathroom, all the old grout should be removed before putting an new in.
    That is what I thought. The crew that came by said they were just going to acid wash, then re-grout the trouble spots...not going to remove the old, cracked grout.
    30,000 gal in-ground, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue, DE filter, Pentair WFE-30 filter pump, Saltwater Generated Chlorine.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Assuming the new grout can be put in thick enough (should be about an 1/8 of an inch or more) it will bond to the old grout......for a VERY long time

The acid wash makes perfect sense to me, increasing the bond between old and new.

Less than 1/8 of an inch might or might not hold up for long but it is worth a try.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It's like have a cavity in your tooth. A dentist has to remove the decay before he can fix it. Same with grout. Pick out the stuff that is lose and get to the good stuff. Then fill in with your new grout.

I've done patch jobs in various spots in my pool and never did an acid wash and all has been good.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,