LifeTime Supporter
Sep 20, 2014
Pleasanton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
When I clean my strainer basket in the pump all the water in the pump,and it seems like some from the filter too, runs backward into the pool. This causes the pump to take what seems like an inordinate amount of time to prime itself.

I can close the valves on the main drain and skimmer near the pump to stop the backward drain and then hurry and turn them back on after I start the pump.

Is this normal, and should I install a check valve right before the pump to make it easier on myself and the pump to reprime?

If your pump (more specifically the impeller inlet) is above water level and there is no valve between the pump and the filter to shut off, a siphon is setup which will drain water out of the pump basket and then suck air into the filter displacing the water in the filter. There is nothing that can prevent this unless you have valves between the pump and filter or filter and returns.

Also, water in the pump basket will naturally drain from the pump basket to the pool out the suction pipe, again if there is no valve.

What he (Mas985) said ;)

BUT . . . if you have no leaks then you can shut down the pump, close the valves, clean the basket and then secure the basket cover, open the valves and then turn on the pump. That way you lose the least amount of water/prime when restarting the pump.

Each setup can be complex but, assuming you have a multiport valve, try shutting off the pump, moving the multiport to the "closed" position, and then opening the pump strainer basket. May or may not work depending on your setup.

Thanks so much guys. Very helpful. I don't "think" I have an air leak. Following the steps in order as you guys mentioned I think will do the trick. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.