How to do a big rise in TA

Jul 13, 2011
Austin, TX
ive just completed a Jacks copper removal program and I've been slowly bringing the water back in balance. Here are today's measurements:

TC 3
pH 7.3
TA 20
Borates 40
CH 400 (same as source)
Temp 68
CA 40

Pool math suggests 9# of baking soda to get me to 60. That's a lot! Any suggestions on adding that much? Small batches of 1-2# with checks? All at once? Can I expect some temporary cloudiness?

Once TA is ins check, I'll work on CA.

Thanks

Anytime you are adding that much, its always recommended to add in 3 doses with 8 hours in between. You can then check between. Cloudiness shouldn't occur if you do it slowly, but your Ch is considered high, so maybe go even slower.

I should mention, it's me that recommends splitting up dosing, not TFP.

I doubt it will be an issue. Some years ago I added somewhere around 20 lbs without incident.

Caution is the best help, however.

I had absolutely no cloudiness and it dissolved very quickly and I got valid test results within an hour

CSI is not that low now. If it were me, I would leave TA at 40 and maybe raise PH a little with some borax or aeration. With high CH fill water (and high TA too?), it won't be long before you wish you had a low TA. Just speaking from my own experience.

I agree with keeping it low. I keep it at 50-60 because I dose acid regularly to combat pH drift from SWG and that has a TA erosion effect. No higher than 60 for me.

Everything's lookin great. TA at 50 and I'm about to swap out acid in doser with bleach for the winter. SWG won't be effective after this week's cold weather. And with SWG off, pH tends to hang tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.