Pump Failure

Changing the cord may have temporarily removed the interference. Is the motor making the same noise again or is this a different problem now?

It's making the same noise you hear in the first video. This is the noise it made in the past for the first few seconds after powering on. I assumed it was making that noise while pulling high amperage at first start-up. When it was running normally, it would still make that noise for a couple seconds, then begin running normally without that sound.

To me it sounds like interference or the centrifugal switch (assuming it has one) is not fully engaging. It may be getting hung up on something.

In the following picture you can see and example of a centrifugal switch. The governor is below the contacts with the springs:

centurion-ao-smith-motors.jpg

If the switch is not engaging or not fully engaging, would this be something detectable by the untrained eye? (in other words, fairly obvious) And how likely would it be that this would occur with 2 motors? (one new and one 5 months old)

Ok, I didn't realize that it was happening in both motors. Was it the same wet end for both motors? Perhaps there is an interference there. Check the diffuser and impeller ring.

So as soon as there's enough light outside this morning, I go out to the pool prepared to change out the pump motor. Decided to see what the current motor is going to do. Flip the power switch and voila! It runs just fine :shock: All I can do is throw my hands in the air and roll with it! Thanks again guys. Guess we'll see what happens.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.