New FL Pool Owner; Seasonal Automation (Pentair Easy Touch) and "Solar" Pool Cover

JoeFletch

Nov 7, 2014
Bradenton, FL
New FL Pool Owner; Seasonal Automation (Pentair Easy Touch) and "Solar" Pool Cover

A new Florida pool owner here that is trying to setup his Pentair Easy Touch Control Panel. Basically what I want to do is to have 2 groups of functionality (Summer / "Winter") with the following functionality details.
  • Summer - pulls water from the pool and returns to both the pool and the spa. No heat. Basically so that the pool and spa function as one unit on a single schedule.
  • Winter
    • Spa - so that I can have a specific Spa temperature that is warmer than the pool.
    • Pool - so that I can set a specific lower temperature independent of the Spa.

To me that makes sense. But I cannot figure out how to setup the schedule/automation so that the valves are in the proper alignment; pool only and spa only. I know where the valve positions need to be, I just cannot get to the control system menu that allows me to set the valve position (if that is even the case). The Pentair Manual does not go into this level of detail. (Or I may be completely missing it!)

Here is a picture of my control panel.
m6Rbv8yl.jpg

Valves
eSHZYF4l.jpg

hYOmeEfl.jpg

Since the plan is to use the pool year round, I also know that I need to get a solar pool cover in order to prevent heat loss at night. I believe that 8 - 12 mil is suggested and there are more details here, but is there a specific brand that is suggest over others? Are there industry standards for solar covers?

Any suggestions are welcome, since I am new to all of this! Thanks for reading!

Re: New FL Pool Owner; Seasonal Automation (Pentair Easy Touch) and "Solar" Pool Cove

first off, I for one do not believe that solar covers warm a pool. that said, I have a 8 mil lowes on my pool.
most do not last long, a wally world one says do not use with water over 3ppm chlorine, I guess it will fall
apart. I do not believe there is any industry standard on them. most warrant them but the costs to ship
it both ways is about the same as buying a new one. duh!
I have a 18X36 pool, cut mine into 1/2 and 1/2 again. I roll it up carefully during the day. then sun heats
the water faster that way. then roll back on by laying the sections back on the water and unrolling it
across the pool. I added 1 1/2 months swimming last year here in TN.
I read three types of those covers so far, resin, plastic and a polyethylene. which one is best? do not know
but searching on amazon the reviews say about 25% are unhappy average about their purchases....looking at
all covers. some fell apart, deteriorate or since some are glued together sections split at the seams.
this site is supported by a company that sells test kits, most here recommend you to do your own testing.
I too still take mine to a pool store a few times a summer. I do like to double check what I do...and for
possibly better accuracy.
you might search out the BBB method of pool maintenance. bleach, borax and baking soda.
that helped me a lot. it saved me lots of bucks and time. I use a dip tester daily pool and spa
'aqua check' chlorine, ph, alkalinity and stablizer as a guide. if anything looks off I do a proper test.
it saves chemical testers costs.
I do not know anything about your electronic control. can not help there.
salt you want to keep above 2000ppm to work and below 3400ppm or it may shut off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.