Removing significant leaves

Jul 11, 2013
Struggling with this.

We have 2 large trees near our pool that pretty much PUKE leaves in october. Unfortunately this year, with the drama regarding getting our liner replaced, and then subsequent leaks we had to find and get fixed, we had the pool open much later than we usually do. The pool is scheduled to get closed this tuesday, however we left for a long weekend, during which we had very strong winds and rain, which resulted in a pool completely filled with leaves when we came back. The deep end is probably over 6" deep with leaves, and its proving to be a nightmare to get rid of.

I have a leaf net, and every time i make a pass, it stirs everything aroudn it up making it difficult to make a dent. To top it off, with the up and down temps we've had, we've had algae blooms as a result so half the time i cant even see the bottom to see what i'm doing.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the leaves most effectively? I thought about donning a wetsuit and goggles and just getting down there with a large mesh bag and the leaf net and doing it by hand. Also thought maybe just set the Multiport to waste and just suck everything out to the street, but wasnt sure if that would cause a problem for the inner workings of the pool pump, although i figured the impeller would shred the leaves on their way out?

Suggestions?

There are leaf nets you can attach to regular garden hose which uses the suction to pull the leaves into the bag, however, I just prefer the old scoop method until all are gone. Treating your pool while those leaves are in there is just throwing money out the window.

A leaf bagger is very handy for getting large numbers of leaves off the bottom of the pool.

For leaves on the surface a leaf rake can work quite well, though it takes a little practice to get really good at it. It is easiest to use a leaf rake when there is enough wind to blow the leaves to one side of the pool. Then you can make a pass along that side, and by the time you are done the remaining leaves will be blown into place so you can make another pass along the edge right away.

So do you recommend just keeping at it with the leaf net until theres minimal that i can see, and them maybe sending in my Dolphin to get whatever else is down there? Its just tough being that i cant really see the deep end of the pool, only shadows of approximately where the leaves are. I wont grow a third limb by throwing on wetsuit and getting down there myself will i? lol

Ok got it. I'll try to get some work done on it this afternoon and into the evening (just turn on the pool light) but i guess i'll get as much as i can done tomorrow, and then get in the water with the wetsuit for whatever is left. Then i'll let the dolphin clean things up before slamming it to get rid of the algae before closing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.