Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Post Halloween Weirdness

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Halloween Weirdness

I have an auto cover on my rectangular pool. I use a Little Giant cover pump positioned towards the shallow end of the pool (because that's where my closest power outlet is) and I run a hose to the other end of the pool where I leave the cover open an inch for the hose to drop down a foot into the pool.

I've used this same setup for 2 years without any problems, other than a float repair. Yesterday morning I looked out to the pool and noticed the pump was moved off position and the hose was pulled back to near the pump. Never seen that before. The pool is surrounded by a high fence with lots of delicate bamboo details that would certainly break if someone tried to climb over it. The gate is locked. I looked for evidence of an animal doing this but there were no footprints or tears on the cover. I thought it might be something like the pool cleaner coming on but I took all the timer triggers off the pump timer last week so there's nothing to trigger the pump on and as far as I can tell it hasn't run since I did this. I checked with some earthquake reporting sites and there's nothing that corresponds there.

This morning, for the second day in a row it happened again and this time the Little Giant had moved to be completely against the back wall of the pool and the hose had moved with it. The hose is about 25 foot long and kinda heavy.

Any ideas? Fresh water sharks? Bored squirrels? Ghosts of pool cover pumps past?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Post Halloween Weirdness

That is odd. Hard to say if you don't have any critter or people evidence. Solar flares? Heavy rain could perhaps float the hose and move it around on top of the cover but it would be hard for the pump to move without help.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Whatever it is, animal or human, train the freaking thing to vacuum your pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Haha. Probably be easier than getting the 16 year old to do it!
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

After a break of one day, it happened again last night. Here's photo's of before and after. It seems really odd that the power cord moved up onto the ledge further forward. Again no signs of any animals.

IMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Ok, that just calls for a trail cam to be installed....has to be a racoon or something like that....weird to say the least

7. Back To Top    #7

My money is on the 16 year old.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Didn't one of the Paranormal Activity movies have a possessed pool cleaner? Yikes.

Having four boys between the ages of 8-16, that is where money is as well!

J.
    In New Mexico 20'x36'/3.5' to 8.5'/32,000 gallon/IG gunite/plaster
    Pentair WFE-4 pump/Pentair CC420 cartridge filter/Raypak 266A heater
    2 Pentair Intellibrite LED's/6 Aqua arches
    Coverpools cover with hidden lid
    1,500 sq ft stamped concrete deck
    Polaris robot
    TF100

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll have to check if what I think is an epoxy joint between his butt and the computer chair has separated!