Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combined Chloramines---- where do they go

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Combined Chloramines---- where do they go

If I understand this right, combined chloramines are created when the chlorine we add to the pool
    actually react with something in the pool and the resultant is a dead something and the chloramines.

I also think I understand that the chloramines are what causes the "chlorine smell" and irritating
    situation in the pool.

I'm seeing none in my tests and am thankful for that.

Where do the chloramines go....i.e. how are they removed from the pool.

Thanks again for you help.

reporting here from south west Florida

Pool home in Venice Florida. No pool home upstate NY. Retiree from Navy Nuclear Power Design Laboratory.
    9500 gallon plaster pool. cartridge filter, pentair vs pump, fafco solar heater.
    New to the pool thing. Learning.
    Part time requires a pool service for pool maintenance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Combined Chloramines---- where do they go

Combined chlorine reacts with a second chlorine to break things down further. Depending on what is being broken down it takes a total of two or more chlorines before it is broken down to something non-organic.

The initial reaction, where the first chlorine binds to form a combined chlorine happens more quickly than the subsequent reactions. Sometimes that results in measurable CC levels, especially if you run out of chlorine before things run to completion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Great answer, JasonLion. I learned from it as well.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The sun also breaks down the CC, correct? It is not only the chlorine that lowers the CC levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes. Tapatalk's search functions is no bueno, so I can't reference it myself, but chemgeek has done lots of posts on this.

Also why indoor pools have to be treated a little different then outdoor pools....no sunlight to do its thing.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Excellent work guys, really like how once attacked, more chlorine is needed to get rid of it. Is that the oxidization we all talk about?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, this oxidation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Chlorine reacts very quickly with ammonia to produce monochloramine which is a Combined Chlorine (CC). As Jason noted, further reaction with additional chlorine that takes place more slowly ultimately results mostly in nitrogen gas (or some nitrate) and chloride salt. The formation of CC is not oxidation, but the further reaction with chlorine to produce the end products is oxidation.

There's also chlorine reacting with nitrogenous organics such as urea, but the principle is basically the same where CC is formed and then further reaction with chlorine oxidizes it to final products.

The UV in sunlight can react with some types of CC (mostly dichloramine) to break it down. The UV in sunlight also breaks down chlorine and when it does it produces hydroxyl radicals that are powerful oxidizers that can oxidize some bather waste that chlorine doesn't handle that well on its own.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks for the answers. The entirety of the chemical reactions contained in a pool is very interesting.

Thankfully with the help of all of you TFP folks, my pool has worked great ever since we bought the house last november. My pool contractor apparently
    has done a good job while we are up north.

It took a little to convince him to use the liquid chlorine only in the pool, but since I have gotten the CYA down to a reasonable level, all seems well.
    Pool home in Venice Florida. No pool home upstate NY. Retiree from Navy Nuclear Power Design Laboratory.
    9500 gallon plaster pool. cartridge filter, pentair vs pump, fafco solar heater.
    New to the pool thing. Learning.
    Part time requires a pool service for pool maintenance.