Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Homeowner Replacing Skimmer Box / Massive Water Lost - Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Homeowner Replacing Skimmer Box / Massive Water Lost - Question

Hello,

Long story short, we've had air bubbles in our lines for awhile now so after replacing the o ring on the pool pump which did not solve the problem, we dug up the backyard. We saw the original skimmer box has plumbers putty on it preventing the use of a barracuda so we dug underneath to see if the pipe was leaking. It was, and the skimmer box is shot along with some of the pipe underneath the patio deck. Both are going to be replaced. We have to wait for the hole to dry out, wall it up with plywood to prevent cave in, rent a concrete saw, cut it out and buy a new Hayward skimmer box, install the skimmer and new pipe.

Question: We drained the pool water line to be even with the bottom of the skimmer box and let evaporation do the rest. When we woke up this morning, the pool water line was 5.5 inches below the skimmer box and I have no idea what happened. I took a couple of pictures and posted to view. Any thoughts on where all the additional water went? Do we have another leak somewhere?

The pool has a floor drain that we have no idea if it works or not (skimmer has two holes, pump and main floor drain I assume). We've never seen the main drain work (has no suction, not sure if its suppose to??)

The pool is about 15-18 years old (concrete). The home was foreclosed on twice by previous owners and we've brought the pool back to life. Its been working fair for the last 4 years with the bubbles (now determined to be leak).

Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Homeowner Replacing Skimmer Box / Massive Water Lost - Question

Welcome to TFP!!!

The fact that the water stop dropping right at the return jet makes me suspect either a leak in that pipe or where the pipe enters the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

The fact that the water stop dropping right at the return jet makes me suspect either a leak in that pipe or where the pipe enters the pool.
    Thanks for the reply. I took two more pictures and will have to make links for them as I ran out of cap room. Based on what you said, it probably is one of the other pipes leaking too.

4. Back To Top    #4

Edited for pictures-
    Smykowski

5. Back To Top    #5

Better if we do not have to click on links to view the pix: Follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial on how to post them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Better if we do not have to click on links to view the pix: Follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial on how to post them.
    Thanks, I'll do that next time via photobucket with img code. Based on the pictures, most are above the water line, besides one of them is still in it showed on the second picture, far left (kinda hard to see).

7. Back To Top    #7

So it could be leaking at the interface of any of those jets that are right at the water line. Try filling the pool an inch or so and putting some food coloring by each and see if it gets sucked into the wall anywhere.
    Jason, TFP Moderator