Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintenance?

1. Back To Top    #1

Maintenance?

I bought a foreclosure and the pool was built in 2006. Knowing very little about the history of the pool I am having my filter deep cleaned and sand replaced in a few weeks. I know you don't need the sand replaced but they are offering a special and it comes with sand replacement.

I also am also having the spider gasket replaced. They suggested replacing all the parts in the multi port valve. They said it would be under a $100. Is this a normal part of routine maintenance? Anything else I should have them do?
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Maintenance?

The spider gasket is the only repair needed for the multiport valve. I would replace all o rings on all unions and ball valves. Do this yourself. The common ones are 224, 331 and 328

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a REASON you need to replace all parts of the multi valve? I'd pass on having the sand replaced due to the fact they might end up cracking a lateral accidentally and for no good reason.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

All my plumbing is glued. If I need to get at a joint I need to have it cut apart. Is there o-rings in the joints?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Is there a REASON you need to replace all parts of the multi valve? I'd pass on having the sand replaced due to the fact they might end up cracking a lateral accidentally and for no good reason.
    They said it is just good maintenance.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

No, if glued you won't need o rings. I redo a lot of pools that are just glue and hose clamps. You are not alone!

I know the jacuzzi guy that invented sand filters always felt sand never needed replacement.

It's now common for pool stores to tell people that every 5 years their sand should be replaced. What a joke that is. Yours is most definitely still good. Just do a search for deep cleaning sand in here.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

There are very few times when replacing sand is necessary. If it's always been a chlorine pool, keep the sand, just deep clean it, and all will be fine.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor