Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st year winterizing inground pool in my new home

1. Back To Top    #1

1st year winterizing inground pool in my new home

Hi all,
    I'm new to this great forum Im in need of a little help to make sure I'm winterizing my inground pool my main question is I have a main drain but no valve it appears to me it tied in with the skimmer I have the previous homeowners equipment and the skimmer plug is a double rubber plug could I be right on this assumption I'll start with this question as I have couple more but don't wanna be long and drawn out

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st year winterizing inground pool in my new home

Welcome to the forum!

I can't help with your in ground question because I have an above ground pool. Just wanted to give you a welcome and a bump, and someone who can help should be by shortly.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

If you have no valve for the main drain, you will want to get some 1" foam rope. You will use about 4' and push it down the hole in the skimmer that goes to the main drain. Then you simply plug it. The foam rope gives the ice, if any forms, a chance to grow inwards rather then outwards and break the pipe. You then blow out all returns and skimmer from the equipment pad. Adding antifreeze is an added insurance for any water that you didn't get out. Then you plug the lines, add a gizmo to the skimmer, grab a coffee and sit inside and sulk til the spring comes.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you winterize a pool without blowing out your lines. I live in Oklahoma.
    Pool Data:

12K gal, IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo Pump, 36 Sq Ft Pentair NFS Plus 36 DE Fiter. Pool Built 3-7-2007

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Yes, if there is no freeze up. I am not familiar with your winter weather.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lrkey View Post
    Can you winterize a pool without blowing out your lines. I live in Oklahoma.
    I'm originally from OKC. I'd blow them out.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.