Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Checking levels while pool is closed

1. Back To Top    #1

Checking levels while pool is closed

My pool was closed about a month ago. Today I decided to measure the chemicals using a Lamotte strip (didn't want to do the full TF-100 tests). I found that my pH was at least nine, and my Total Hardness was 800+. Other measurements looked good. While I've read posts about the chemical balance at time of closing, are there any guidelines on the chemical balance while the pool is actually closed? Do I need to make any adjustments?
    34K, IG, Charcoal Marquis aggregate finish, Jandy stealth pump, cartridge filter, Built '07, TFT-100, Aquapure SWG, Solar heating with Goldline controller, Polaris 380 Blackmax

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Checking levels while pool is closed

Do you have readings when you closed it?

Your Ph. is leaning towards causing staining if there are any metals in your water. I would bring it down to high 7's
    Ch is through the roof, but you might have hard fill water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Since your pool has been closed were you able to run the pump prior to testing ? 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

As Jeff eluded to, you need to have the water circulated prior to testing. Also, we do not trust test strips when the pool is open, so why would we trust them when it is closed?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The combination of high pH and way high CH doesn't sound good. I would first question the strips and test ALL your parameters with the TF-100 to make sure you need to deal with the issue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If your pool was shocked before closing your PH may read high.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

7. Back To Top    #7

If you're really concerned, run a full set of tests using the TF100. Then get your water temp. Then put everything in poolmath and see what the CSI is.

I would bet that if it was balanced before you closed, it's probably balanced now.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for all your feedback. I'm going to re-run my tests using a proper test kit.

But my pump is off for the year: Should I just to move the water around a bit with a brush? Or will I not get good results without more water circulation?
    34K, IG, Charcoal Marquis aggregate finish, Jandy stealth pump, cartridge filter, Built '07, TFT-100, Aquapure SWG, Solar heating with Goldline controller, Polaris 380 Blackmax

9. Back To Top    #9

Checking levels while pool is closed

Your not going to get accurate results without water circulation. You should always test your water after the pump has been running for at least 30 -40 mins. It's all about accurate testing.
    If you want to try the moving some water with the brush it's up to you but I wouldn't trust the results. Your water has been sitting for awhile.
    If your water was balanced when you closed I would think its fine.
    Others may disagree but I like to give the best advice I can. Thats how I handle things. I would never test my water without the pump having been run at least 30 mins prior to testing.😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.