Renovating 1958 Pool!

I have a few questions as we prepare to start this project...

The first couple questions are the debate between "If it ain't broke..." and "while we are at it should we upgrade?"

1. We have the original Skimmers in this pool. They seem to function fine. Although we have had trouble finding the right size baskets. Since I logged onto this website and completed Pool School, we've had no problems maintaining the pool. Have there been significant improvement on skimmers over the past 50 years?

2. Kind of the same question, only referencing the Drain. We have maintainted the pool with no issues. Will a Drain make it alot easier? We do need to vacuum a couple times a week. Will the drain help with that?

3. We tried a couple automatic vacuums but due to the sharp corners they all get hung up in the corners. We have ended up doing the manual vacuuming at least weekly. I was thinking to round the bottom corners of the pool when we renovate the bottom. Does this make sense?

4. Pipes are currenlty all 1 1/2" I have a PentAir that is capable of 2" pipes, while we are at it should we install 2" pipes?

5. Light... there is no light in the pool. When we have used it we really haven't missed it. Is it worth busting a hole in the side of hte pool to install a light? Is there any other benefit to lighting the pool aside from pure aesthetics? I can't imagine there is, but figured I'd toss the question out there!

6. Since you see where I'm going with this, is there anything I may not be considering? I have no desire to install shelves or jets or anything like that. Sounds sexy, but I see those as alot of work with minimal benifit.

Thanks advance for your feedback and opinions!!!

1. Skimmers -- No there has been no great advance in skimmers.

2. Drains -- Drains are not required. If you do have a drain under the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool Safety Act and California's implementation of it all pool "drains" must meet certain standards. In short, generally you must have dual "unblockable" drains at least 3 feet apart. There are other ways to comply. Most California pool builders build pools with drains because they generally provide better circulation. But you don't need them. If your pool was functioning fine without them and you don't have circulation problems then you are probably ok.

3. Yes that makes sense. You may also want to consider switching to a robot. They work just as well or better and they consume considerably less energy because you are not running the pump at a high rate to operate them. There is a high initial cost however.

4. You should definitely consider 2" for the suction side. On the return side depending on how its plumbed 1 1/2 may be ok. From the pump through the filter should be 2". Individual returns could be 1 1/2.

5. A light is great if you are going to swim at night or want the pool to look Kwel during your cocktail parties on the pool deck. Otherwise you don't need it. I have an LED color changing light and I really like it. But we swim at night during the week. Your pool would probably need 2 LED lights.

6. You should consider a swimout in the deep end. They are a great safety feature and make getting into and out of the pool much easier for old foggies like me. Teenagers really like to hang out on them. Here is an example: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/65318-1963-pool-resurection/page31 installed in a 1963 pool.

You should upgrade your pump to a two speed or, depending on if PG&E will give you a large enough rebate to have it make economic sense, a variable speed pump.

Thanks gwegan, that was the first thing we did when we decided to revive the pool. We are using a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 3 HP Pump. We probably aren't using it optimally yet. But it has done a great job for us. I know we have issues with some leaks in the line, because we end up repriming everytime we fire it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.